Both our BSc and BEng Civil Engineering degrees offer the opportunity of a full-time, year-long work placement
Why do a placement?
They are a golden opportunity to gain experience and develop your understanding of industry practice. Placements can offer a wealth of benefits including:
- learning the skills employers look for - confident teamwork, communication and problem solving
- securing a graduate job - employers often use the placement as an extended trail for a graduate position
- testing out career options
- graduating with experience and references to include on your CV.
Did you know?
- For students starting their course from 2012 there will be no fees during the sandwich placement year.
- NTU is in the top five in the UK for the number of Civil Engineering students taking year-long placements. (HESA data 2011 / 12)
Dedicated Placement Office
The School's dedicated Placement Office provides assistance for students seeking a placement, as well as support throughout their placement year.
Completion of a placement year will lead to the award of a Diploma in Professional Practice.
Civil Engineering students work in a variety or industries, and placements are available throughout the UK and Europe. Some students also embark on international placements internationally.
Employers range from small owner-managed companies to large multinational organisations. Recent successful placements have been undertaken at companies including:
- Balfour Beatty
- Stirling Maynard
- Jackson Civil Engineering Ltd
- Volker Fitzpatrick
- J N Bentley
- The Ringway Group
- Birse Civils
- North Midland Construction
Although a work placement is highly recommended, obtaining one is based on an individual's efforts and is not guaranteed.
What do placement companies say about our students?
Our placement students are always highly-regarded – take a look at some recent feedback from companies.