Nottingham Business School has an established reputation for providing high quality CIPD approved courses and has offered the equivalent of a CIPD Foundation Level course for over 30 years.
This foundation level course lays the basis for further professional development. At the commencement of the course you will be required to join the CIPD as a Student member and upon successful completion of your qualification you will be automatically upgraded to Associate Membership of the CIPD (Assoc. CIPD). Graduates will receive a Certificate in Human Resources Practice (CHRP) from the CIPD.
Please note the following information for applicants.
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 4460
Visit the Nottingham Business School website
Please see the Applying
Course length: Nine months part-time
Study location: City site
Fees and funding:
See the fees and funding information.
*Fees are subject to annual review.
You will undertake a core module, which has the overarching theme of HR, the Organisation and You. The core module will cover the following CIPD Core Element units:
- Understanding Organisations and the Role of HR
- Developing Yourself as an Effective HR Practitioner
- Recording, Analysing and Using HR Information.
In addition to the Core Module, you will also study modules covering:
- Resourcing Talent
- Supporting Good Practice in Managing Employee Relations
- Supporting Good Practice in Performance and Reward Management.
Study and support
The course is presented as a series of four study blocks, delivered in a series of one and two-day sessions. A wide range of teaching methods are employed including: lectures, guest lectures, group work, presentations, role play exercises and other opportunities to practice and perfect key skills in an encouraging and supportive environment.
A range of assessment methods will be used, including a variety of written assignments, skills assessments (involving assessed role-play exercises) and a Continuing Professional Development portfolio.
How many contact hours will there be?
The course runs for 19 days in total, which equates to 142.5 contact hours.
How many places are available?
There is no finite limit on the capacity of the course. Classes usually contain between 25 and 35 students.
Which building will the course be taught in?
It is intended that the course will be delivered wholly in the Newton building, although it may be necessary for some classes to be delivered elsewhere on the City campus from time to time.
"If you are considering a future, or possibly already working within HR and wish to formalize your experience with an academic qualification, the CHRP at Nottingham Trent University is a fantastic option to consider.
Personally I have worked within Recruitment and Selection for a number of years and felt that I lacked the insight and technical knowledge used within modern HR models.
The CHRP course is well designed and challenging, it requires commitment, dedication and of course the investment of time. Having completed and passed the course I can guarantee that the rewards make the personal investment worthwhile."
Eco Personnel (UK) Ltd
At Nottingham Trent University, we provide first-class learning facilities for our students. The transformed Newton building is the home of Nottingham Business School and marks the next phase in the School’s development. In Newton, students have an abundance of teaching space, a range of lecture theatres of different sizes, and masses of space for social learning. With wireless connection throughout, students will be able to work on their laptops in any part of the building.
Successful completion of the course offers the opportunity for you to enter the HR profession at an administrative / support level. If you are already working in the HR profession, it will provide you with the necessary knowledge, theory, skills and experience to develop your career further. You may also gain access to other HR-related courses and successful completion of the Certificate in Human Resources Practice will be taken into consideration if you apply for entry to Nottingham Business School's CIPD Advanced Level qualifications.
This course does not currently offer placements, but the course assignments are based on real-world issues. Applicants must therefore be in employment, or be able to gain access to an organisation upon which to base assignments.
The course is open to:
- personnel and training practitioners
- people with significant personnel content in their jobs
- those wishing to move into the field of human resources.
Please see how to apply for further entry requirements.
- The course is open to personnel and training practitioners and/or people with significant human resources content in their jobs, or those wishing to move into the field of human resources.
- Due to the practical nature of the course, you must either be in employment, or gain access to an organisation upon which to base your assignments.
English language entry requirements for courses at Nottingham Business School and a full list of all English language qualifications accepted by the University are available on our website.
Applications should be made using the apply online button at the top of the page.
Initial diagnostic interview
As part of the application process for this course, applicants will be required to attend an initial diagnostic interview with the programme leader (or his/her nominated deputy). The main purposes of this initial interview will be to:
- meet the applicant
- explain the qualification and its requirements
- check the applicant’s current ability to meet the requirements for achievement of the qualification
- identify any opportunities for previous experience or certified learning that might be recognised through exemption credit transfer, and
- identify any reasonable adjustments that may be required.
After this the applicant and the programme leader will agree:
- if the qualification is, in fact, suitable for the applicant and, if not, what else might be appropriate
- terms and conditions
- details of the qualification to enrol upon
- next actions, time frames.
Interviews will be arranged for a mutually convenient date and time wherever possible. If attendance for interview by the applicant proves to be impracticable for whatever reason, a telephone interview may be arranged in exceptional circumstances.
Please note the following information for applicants