This exciting course is designed to give you the theoretical and practical skills needed for a career in Biotechnology within companies and research organisations.
This course is ideal if you:
- are a recently qualified undergraduate and are looking for the professional skills needed to obtain a job in a Biotechnology company
- are working in an organisation and want a masters-level qualification to give you a competitive edge
- require the skills and experience needed to study for a research degree
- are an international student who would like to study abroad
- would like a course delivered by experienced research academics, with the possibility of completing a research project in industry.
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 3516
During this course you will study six core modules as well as undertaking a research project. You will also choose from two optional modules.
- Molecular Biology (20 cp)
- Cell Culture and Antibody Technology (20 cp)
- Special topics in Biotechnology (20 cp)
- Business and enterprise (20 cp)
- Research methods and Bioethics (20 cp)
- Research project (60 cp)
- Microbial Diagnostics (20 cp)
- Techniques in Macromolecular Analysis (20 cp)
Download our Bioscience module descriptions document to find out more about each of these modules.
The course is completed with a five-month laboratory based research project. You may carry out the work either in the School or in another academic or industrial research laboratory in the UK or abroad, subject to approval by the Course Team.
Modules assessed by a variety of different types of course work including written assignments, oral presentations and poster presentations, and examinations. The Research Project will involve the design, implementation and reporting of a major research task.
This course benefits from the excellent facilities and equiment available in the School of Science and Technology.
Learn a new language
Alongside your study you also have the opportunity to learn a new language. The University Language Programme (ULP) is available to all students and gives you the option of learning a totally new language or improving the skills you already have.
Learning a new language can:
- Enhance your communication skills;
- Enrich your experience when travelling abroad; and
- Boost your career prospects.
Find out more about the ULP.
This degree provides students with the professional skills, experience and knowledge necessary to pursue a wide range of careers within the field of biotechnology, alongside valuable transferable skills. Students would also be well-placed to study for a PhD.
This course offers you the opportunity to take a one - year placement or several smaller placements. If you start this course in September / October then you will complete your placement following your taught modules and research project. If you start in January you will complete one term of taught modules and your project then go on placement before returning to NTU for your final term of modules.
Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Practice
To qualify for the additional qualification of Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Practice (PGDIPP) you must submit a work placement portfolio which includes a placement diary, reflective report and updated CV, as well as deliver an oral presentation on your placement experience.
Help and support
We will work closely with you to help you strengthen your CV and interview techniques. During the placement year, an academic member of staff will visit at least twice to check on your progress and offer any advice.
- A UK honours degree (minimum 2.2) or equivalent in a relevant discipline such as Biochemistry or Biology
- Applicants with relevant employment experience or other relevant qualifications will also be considered
- International students please see the English language requirements section
Click the Apply online button at the top of the page to complete your application.