This exciting course is designed to give you the theoretical and practical skills needed for a career in molecular bioscience within companies and research organisations.
Reasons to choose this course
This course is ideal if you:
- are a recently qualified undergraduate and are looking for the professional skills needed to obtain a job in a bioscience company
- are working in an organisation and want a masters-level qualification to give you a competitive edge
- require the skills and experience needed to study for a research degree
- are an international student who would like to study abroad
- would like a course delivered by experienced research academics, with the possibility of completing a research project in industry.
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 3516
This course is made up of six core modules and a research project. Modules include:
- Molecular Biology (20 credit points)
- Cell Culture and Antibody Technology (20 credit points)
- Biology of disease (20 credit points)
- Business and enterprise (20 credit points)
- Research Methods and Bioethics (20 credit points)
- Research project (60 credit points)
Download our Bioscience module descriptions document to find out more about each of these modules.
Modules one to seven are assessed by a variety of different types of course work including written assignments, oral presentations and poster presentations, and examinations. The Research Project will involve the design, implementation and reporting of a major research task.
This course will be delivered through lectures, laboratory classes, demonstrations, computer packages, and project work. We have state-of-the-art lecture, computing, library and laboratory facilities.
There will be various support mechanisms to help and advise you, including email contact with all tutors, a virtual learning environment for course information and messages, and pastoral support from our International Coordinator and Postgraduate Courses Administrator. The University offers an induction programme for international students, and English language classes.
This course benefits from the excellent facilities and equipment available in the School of Science and Technology.
Learn a new language
Alongside your study you also have the opportunity to learn a new language. The University Language Programme (ULP) is available to all students and gives you the option of learning a totally new language or improving the skills you already have.
Learning a new language can:
- enhance your communication skills
- enrich your experience when travelling abroad
- boost your career prospects.
Find out more about the University Language Programme.
View the full course specification
Please note that course specifications may be subject to change
This course cultivates the professional skills, experience and knowledge necessary to pursue a wide range of careers within the field of biosciences. Graduates are well versed in current relevant ethical issues, with an understanding of how these impact on business, making them a valuable addition to any company.
This course offers you the opportunity to take a one-year placement or serveral smaller placements.
If you start your course in September / October then you will complete your placement following your taught modules and research project. If you start in January you will complete one term of taught modules and your project and then go on placement before returning to NTU for your final term of modules.Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Practice
To qualify for the additional qualification of Postgraduate Diploma in Professional Practice (PGDIPP) you must submit a work placement portfolio which includes a placement diary, reflective report and updated CV, as well as deliver an oral presentation on your placement experience.Help and support
We will work closely with you to help you strengthen your CV and interview techniques. During the placement year, an academic member of staff will visit at least twice to check on your progress and offer any advice.
- You will need a UK honours degree (minimum 2.2) or equivalent in a relevant discipline such as Biochemistry or Biology.
- Applicants with relevant employment experience or other relevant qualifications will also be considered.
- International students please see the English language requirements section.
Click the Apply online button at the top of the page to complete your application.