The MSc in Management and Human Resource Management (a route of the full-time MSc Management) has been designed for future managers who specifically want to develop their interest in HRM while strengthening their understanding of wider business areas and concepts critical to the success of 21st century organisations.
Why choose this course?
- The course will equip you with broad knowledge across a wide range of management subject areas and enable you to develop more specialist knowledge as it progresses.
- It is a conversion masters and is therefore not restricted to those with a business or management related first degree.
- Our partnership with the CMI means that on successful completion of the MSc Management you will receive the MSc Management and Human Resource Management and the CMI Level 7 Diploma in Management and Leadership. Download more information .
- This route is designed for those with an interest in managing people, and builds on the core MSc Management module, Managing People Information and Knowledge.
- These courses aim is to develop your understanding and competencies in key areas of HR necessary to be an effective people manager in global environments.
- Students on these routes typically come from over 25 different countries, which means you will have a truly international learning experience.
- There is a unique opportunity to complete a consultancy project working for a real client on a live brief.
- You will complete a comprehensive development programme, which includes a short residential team-building course, usually held in the Peak District.
- You can learn from the best by attending guest lectures from leading organisations. Previous speakers have included representatives from organisations such as E.ON, Lego, Experian, Santander, and IBM.
- You can also build your skills and knowledge further with extra-curricular activities such as joining a society, volunteering or becoming a Student Ambassador.
Scholarships and funding
Students on this course are also eligible to apply for a scholarship from Nottingham Business School. For full details on eligibility and how much is available visit the postgraduate fees and funding section of our website.
Contact us for further information
Find out more information about MSc Management and Human Resource Management by requesting a course brochure. If you would like to speak with a member of the team, you can contact us using the details below.
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 4460
Nottingham Business School website
Please see the Applying
Course length: One year full-time
Study location: City site
Fees and funding:
Please see the fees and funding information.
Candidates applying from visa national countries are required to submit an advance payment, which will then be deducted from the full fee. Please note that fees are subject to annual review.
The framework for all of our full-time MSc in Management courses, enables us to keep up to date with a range of dynamic modules relevant to the aspirations and needs of a new generation of global leaders. Our curriculum is reviewed and developed through consultation with our students, employers and alumni. Central to our course design is engagement with external businesses and organisations, leading to direct experience of consultancy work.
Core modules include:
Managing People, Information and Knowledge
Accounting, Finance and Economics
Strategy in the International Environment
Marketing and Operations
Developing the Effective and Responsible Practitioner
Applied / Consultancy Project.
Specialist modules include:
- Human Resources in an International Environment
- Performance Management
Download more information on these modules
Our partnership with the CMI means that on successful completion of the MSc Management you will receive the MSc Management and Human Resource Management and the CMI Level 7 Diploma in Management and Leadership. Download more information.
Study and support
Teaching and learning methods are centred around interactive workshops which are highly participative in nature and will employ case studies, discussions, business simulations and group activities.
Interactivity is key to our teaching and we are committed to providing courses that adopt teaching methods that are appropriate to the student cohort and the specific modules.
We ensure that support and guidance is in place, especially during the early stages of the course and assessment periods, to help you become comfortable with operating in a student-centred learning environment.
A range of assessment methods are used across the course, the choice of which reflects the needs and demands of the different types of module. Some modules will assess the ability to work collaboratively in a team and others will assess individual capability. Types of assessment will range from examinations to group presentations including essays, reports, financial analyses, literature review, and research based projects.
The interactive nature of the taught sessions offers opportunities to gain feedback on your performance before being formally assessed and increasing use is made of eLearning to further support the feedback process.
All our courses begin with a comprehensive development programme that will help you prepare for your studies and develop key academic and transferable skills. A key feature is a short residential team-building course, normally in the Peak District.
Browse through a selection of photos from our residential weekends.
You will also have opportunities to meet members of the teaching team and other postgraduate students, receive detailed programme information, and gain valuable support and guidance from the library, careers service, international office and Student Support Services.
In-sessional English language support
In-sessional English language support classes are available to all international (non-EU) students studying on degree courses at NTU. There is no extra charge for these classes.
We are continually investing in our facilities, and transforming our learning and teaching environment to create an inspiring and innovative atmosphere.
The School is based in the impressive Newton building on NTU's City site. In 2009 the building was involved in a £90 million regeneration project on the site. While maintaining its historic beauty, the Grade II* listed building was transformed into an ultra-modern complex.
- You can take advantage of the Link Lounge, a space dedicated to Business School students, located on floor seven of the Newton building.
- Explore your career prospects with the help of the University's Employability team.
- You will benefit from spacious teaching rooms and lecture theatres.
- We provide students with a variety of social spaces.
- Your studies will benefit from the £13 million Boots Library.
- You can take advantage of our 24-hour IT facilities.
- Our Student Services Centre will also be on-hand should you need support.
The location of the City site also means that you have easy access to:
- sports facilities
- student accommodation
- music venues
91% of our postgraduates* are employed or engaged in further study six months after leaving (*of those available to work - DHLE Survey 2011 / 12).
Graduates from MSc Management have gone into senior management positions around the world, including as Managers (for example Department Managers, Brand Managers, Communications Managers and Sales Managers), Analysts, Auditors and Bankers.
Graduate destinations for our Human Resource Management students have included:
- HR Managers in large organisations and NGOs
- Training and development officers
- Training consultants
- Recruitment Consultants
- Learning and Development Professionals and Coach Practitioners.
Some students join graduate management trainee programmes and some have been offered jobs with the company for whom they completed their consultancy project.
As part of the course, career advisers will run a series of workshops where students can identify methods and strategies to enable them to effectively pursue their career goals. The workshops will focus on both home and international students and concentrate on developing skills and occupational awareness.
Did you know? Nottingham is one of the fastest growing cities in the UK for job creation (RICS Foundation 2011)
Helping you find your feet after university
Following graduation, we will continue to support you, by providing a number of services that will help kick-start your career.
Our Employability Team are here to inspire and enhance every stage of your career planning, and as a graduate of NTU, you will be able to access their services for three years after your course has finished.
Services they provide include:
- finding placements, internships and part-time work
- pursuing self-employment
- taking gap years and time out
- getting into volunteering
- providing advice on further study.
Visit the Employability team website for further information.
Instead of a placement of the traditional type, this course features a final module which enables you to engage with fellow MSc students on a consultancy project, which an employer will commission in partnership with Nottingham Business School. Each group will work on a real brief, and deliver a project that is of real value to the organisation.
The module aims to develop your capacity to work as part of a management team through active participation in a live consultancy project, and to enhance the ability to communicate clearly; argue rationally; and apply strategic concepts to produce real business solutions - given time constraints and conditions of uncertainty. Completing the project will enable you to demonstrate your acquired knowledge and skills in a valuable practical application.
Consultancy project examples
The briefs we receive deal with a wide range of business areas, including market position and communications, publicity and marketing, sustainable business development, human resources and recruitment strategy, and website and sales development.
Companies that consultancy groups have previously worked for include:
- Nottingham Evening Post
- Gallant Marketing
- Futures Housing
- Nottinghamshire Police
- Age Concern
- Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust
- Paragon Law
- You will need an undergraduate degree equivalent to a UK undergraduate honours degree (2.2 or above).
- All applicants will be required to demonstrate a commitment to the subject they wish to study and should demonstrate how their chosen programme of study will benefit them in their future career.
- One academic or vocational reference is required.
- English language requirements apply.
Please see the English language entry requirements for this University.
How to apply
Applications should be made using the 'Apply' button at the top of the page.
As places are limited you are encouraged to submit your application as early as possible to avoid disappointment. The course starts in September so in order to receive enrolment materials in good time we advise that applications are submitted before the end of July. Please allow additional processing time for international applications from countries that require a visa.
We are able to offer a number of competitive scholarships to both home / EU and international students through our Full-time Masters Scholarship Scheme. Our scholarships can cover up to half your tuition fees, and apply to all our full-time MSc courses starting in September and January.
Please note that these scholarships are only available to students who have been offered a place to study on their chosen master's course within the School.
The International Development Office at NTU also offer a number of scholarships.
It is important for you to visit the campus at an open event so you can explore the facilities, meet the academics you will work with and have the opportunity to ask any questions about postgraduate study. It also gives you a great opportunity to find out what the campus is like and take a look at student life outside the classroom.
Book your place on an open event now.
Meet us overseas
For international students, you can also come see us at a fair near you. Representatives from the School travel worldwide throughout the year to meet prospective students. Keep an eye on our events page to see where we will be and when.
You can also catch up with our International team at various events throughout the year. For full details of where they will be and when visit their website.
Can’t make it to campus? Find us online
If you are unable to travel to the campus then please visit our Virtual Open Day.
Pre-sessional English courses - PEAP Courses
We offer Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (PEAP) courses from six to 30 weeks for students who need help achieving the English language requirements.
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 4460
Nottingham Business School website
Please note the following information for applicants