Reasons to choose this course
- This course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS).
- Our Biomedical Sciences team has over 30 years' experience of delivering high quality professionally accredited courses in this area of study. The team is always available to support you with your studies.
- This course offers the perfect opportunity for professionals within the biomedical industry to develop their qualifications whilst working.
- CPD points - it is possible to enrol for single modules in order to gain continuing professional development points.
- You will be working with our highly regarded academics who have achieved 100% world-leading or internationally excellent research impact (REF2014).
- You can study at your own pace - no attendance required.
- You can start your course at different times during the year - choose the most convenient date for you.
As the majority of study is undertaken online through eLearning materials there is no attendance required at Nottingham Trent University during this course. This allows you to fit your study in around your other commitments.
Undertaking a distance learning course requires a self-disciplined approach to engaging with the self-guided eLearning materials that have been specially designed to deliver the course content.
Each module has an academic team which is responsible for developing the curriculum, producing the eLearning materials, providing online and telephone support, and assigning coursework and grades. You can contact your tutor and discuss ideas with other students via email, discussion boards, and over the telephone.
The research project is conducted in your place of work with joint supervision provided by your laboratory training officer and a member of staff from the School of Science and Technology.
You may also be interested in MSc Biomedical Science
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 3382
The MSc consists of a number of core modules including:
- Research Project
- Scientific Analysis, Review and Presentation
- Research Methods.
The core modules are studied consecutively throughout the programme and underpin the technology and theories of Biomedical Science.The specialist subjects are chosen from the following options:
- Cellular Pathology*
- Clinical Chemistry*
- Haematology and Transfusion Science*
- Medical Microbiology*
- Heart Disease and Cancer
- Molecular Biology and DNA Technology
- Cell Culture and Antibody Technology
- Special Topics in Molecular Biology.
* These modules are available in standard form or with Professional Studies (eg Cellular Pathology with Professional Studies). The Professional Studies versions are studied over the whole duration of the course and allow you to compile your Institute of Biomedical Specialist Portfolio, which is required for professional recognition. There is online advice available to help you decide what type of evidence to collect for the portfolio. You can choose only one Professional Studies module.
The modular nature of the course allows you to enrol for a single module in order to gain CPD (continuing professional development) points, if you do not wish to register for the full MSc.
Download our Bioscience module descriptions document to find out more about each of these modules.
You will undertake self-guided and formal assessments, enabling us to monitor your progress. You will need to inform the Course Leader when you plan to submit the specialist portfolio for assessment by the IBMS, which is required for the award of Institute of Biomedical Science Specialist Diploma.
The School of Science and Technology at Nottingham Trent University has a long association with the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS) and more than 30 years' experience in delivering IBMS-accredited postgraduate courses in Biomedical Science.
Our Biomedical Science team has achieved 100% world-leading or internationally excellent research impact (REF2014). Find out more
Learn a new language
Alongside your study you also have the opportunity to learn a new language. The University Language Programme (ULP) is available to all students and gives you the option of learning a totally new language or improving the skills you already have.
Learning a new language can:
- Enhance your communication skills;
- Enrich your experience when travelling abroad; and
- Boost your career prospects.
Find out more about the ULP.
View the full course specification
Please note that course specifications may be subject to change
Graduates of this course develop a number of specific skills relevant to Biomedical Science. Knowledge and skills acquired will depend on the modules you choose, reflecting your interests, and be directly relevant to your career and professional development.
The course also aids your understanding of the advantages, limitations and applications of a range of fundamental and specialised biomedical techniques. It will teach you how to identify and resolve scientific and technical problems associated with the application of Biomedical Science, and enable you to design, execute and prepare critical written reports.
Graduates will be equipped to:
- deal with complex scientific issues with confidence, independence and originality
- continue advancing their knowledge and understanding
- develop new skills in the application of Biomedical Science
- adapt to future developments in this field of study
- communicate effectively with a range of personnel in management, research and academic contexts.
Although this course does not offer any formal placements, this course is vocationally focused and benefits from strong links with the IBMS and industry.
- a UK honours degree in a Biological subject (minimum 2.2) or equivalent
- a professional qualification of equivalent status
- You will already be working in pathology or industrial biomedical laboratories or have a strong interests in Biomedical Science.
- International students please see the English Language requirements section
Click the Apply online button at the top of the page to complete your application.
"I had been working in an NHS Haematology / Transfusion laboratory for three years when I came across the online Biosciences course at NTU.
"I first heard about this degree through the Institute of Biomedical Science website. I was looking for an accredited eLearning course and found this was my favourite because of the specialised syllabus and the ability to carry out the modules at my own pace whatever time of day.
"I read about the bursary award for this course on the NTU website. The bursary application was really straightforward and easy to complete. I had to explain my reasons for applying and how I was suitable for the bursary.
"Without financial assistance I believe that I would have found it very difficult to complete this course over the two years and would perhaps have had to prolong my study to be able to manage the payments. Being awarded the bursary was a huge privilege and it has allowed me to concentrate on the course content instead of worrying about finding the next payment, for which I am extremely grateful.
"The course is highly specific to my line of work and attendance will benefit the department by producing a more knowledgeable and experienced member of staff. This will improve both the quality of service and patient experience as well as ensuring my continuous professional development within the NHS.
"My undergraduate research project was concerned with stem cells and the amount of apoptosis that occurs with overnight storage at 4?C. This has encouraged me to read around the subject of stem cells and I believe these amazing cells have yet to be fully understood. I hope that my postgraduate research project will also give me passion for another subject area.
"Science is forever changing and the structure of scientists within the NHS is under development in accordance with modernising scientific careers. I hope to be involved with these changes and progress both academically and professionally, with hope of becoming a senior Biomedical Scientist in the near future."
Read more student profiles