Our Executive MBA will engage you with the latest management thinking, enhancing your knowledge, perspective and leadership capabilities. It has been designed to prepare you to handle a wide range of challenges inherent in managing organisations so that you are able to see the interconnectedness of your actions.
Throughout the course, you will tackle real-world business issues and have the opportunity to work with companies in the UK and overseas via international study tours, exchanges and team consultancy projects.
Nottingham Business Schools MBA programme provides an intense learning environment that will:
- open your vision to different perspectives in business and management
- prepare you to question taken-for-granted assumptions
- develop critical skills which will enable you to cope with the demanding roles of management in an economic crisis that will affect organisations for a generation
- develop you to be able to apply knowledge and understanding of management and business to complex issues, both systematically and creatively, to improve business in practice
- develop strategic thinking and innovative, entrepreneurial skills which are highly sought by employers
- develop leadership, interpersonal and group working skills so that you will be able to take senior leadership roles with confidence.
Please note the following information for applicants.
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 4460
Visit the Nottingham Business School website
The Executive MBA programme is delivered in modular blocks of four days (Wednesday to Saturday) approximately five to six weeks apart in Year One and three day blocks in Year Two (Wednesday to Friday).
The programme has four stages:
Stage One - Academic and Management Induction Programme
The residential week at the beginning of the programme is an integral part of the course and will include a detailed introduction to the MBA, its content, assessment and introductory team activities with fellow students. There will be workshops on academic and business writing, a formative diagnostic assignment allowing you to practise writing an assignment and to receive feedback. There will also be an experiential management development activity outside the Business School.
Stage Two - Core Modules
The core curriculum provides a comprehensive foundation across all the main subjects involved in business administration. There are eight compulsory modules at this stage:
- Managing the Strategy Dimension
- Managing the Marketing Dimension
- Managing Information and Knowledge Dimension
- Managing the People Dimension
- Managing the Financial Dimension
- Managing the Economic Dimension
- Managing the Operations Dimension
- Business Research Methods.
Stage Three - Electives and Two Consultancy Projects
There are three different components to stage Three.
1. Team Consultancy Project
There will be an integrative one week Team Consultancy Project, which provides an opportunity for MBA students to apply the knowledge and skills learned on the core programme.
2. Elective Modules
The Elective Modules are more strategic than the core curriculum and provide an opportunity for you to choose three subjects of specific interest to study at greater depth.
- Entrepreneurship – New Venture Creation
- Retail Marketing
- Service Marketing
- Strategic Marketing
- Global Strategic Management
- Talent Management
- Public Sector Management
- Managing Creativity, Design and Innovation
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Finance
- CSR and Diversity in Organisations
- Strategic Management Accounting
- Global Supply Chain Management
- International Strategic HRM
- Contemporary Issues in HRM.
3. The International Business Consultancy Project, provides the second opportunity for you to apply your knowledge to real companies' problems. Working across borders, in different business environments and cultures provides another layer of complexity for managers. Developing international managers with global perspective is an important part of the course and a requirement of senior managers. Each MBA student is refunded £800 from their fees to travel as a team to another country (visas permitting) to work as consultants for an organisation on an identified live business issue.
Stage Four - Business Project or Dissertation
This is a major individual piece of work for which you have one of the following two options.
- Option One - Business Project
Students are briefed on available business projects for investigation and select those in which they are interested.
- Option Two - Dissertation
Students identify a relevant management topic to investigate and conduct their own primary research with the support of their supervisor.
The Personal and Professional Development Programme (PPD)
The PPD programme develops professional, strategic transferable skills that students can deploy in the workplace.
- Leadership Skills
- Communication Skills
- Influencing Skills
- High Impact Presentations
- Negotiation Skills
- Time Management
- Meeting Skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Stress Management
- Writing Business Plans
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Consultancy Skills
- Team Working
- Cross-cultural Awareness Training
- Cyber Law
At Nottingham Trent University, we provide first-class learning facilities for our students. The transformed Newton building is the home of Nottingham Business School and marks the next phase in the School’s development. In Newton, students have an abundance of teaching space, a range of lecture theatres of different sizes, and masses of space for social learning. With wireless connection throughout, students will be able to work on their laptops in any part of the building.
The Career Management Programme (CMP)
The Career Management Programme assists students develop key skills for managing their careers. Students are assisted to determine the right career path, develop a job search strategy, reassess their career objectives, identify career options and job opportunities.
MBA graduates report that they have been able to use their learnings to enhance careers as well as push their businesses forward with new foresight and strategy.
This course does not offer placements but you will work closely with organisations throughout the two consultancy projects.
Team Consultancy Project
There will be an integrated one week Team Consultancy Project, which provides the opportunity for MBA students to apply the knowledge and skills learned on the core programme. Using its extensive corporate connections, the Business School identifies the consultancy project for the students to undertake.
The International Business Consultancy Project, provides the second opportunity to apply your knowledge to real companies' problems. Working across borders, in different business environments and cultures provides another layer of complexity for managers.
Developing international managers with a global perspective is an important part of the course and a requirement of senior managers. Each MBA student is refunded £800 from their fees to travel as a team to another country (visas permitting) to work as consultants for an organisation on an identified live business issue.
- You will need an undergraduate degree (normally 2.1 or above) or equivalent professional or academic qualifications.
- There are English language requirements for international and EU students.
- Two academic OR vocational references are required
Please see the how to apply section for more information.
Further entry requirement details
In addition to the entry requirements stated in the key information section, you will also need a period of professional work experience (minimum three years, preferably five).
In exceptional circumstances applicants without a degree will be considered, if they can demonstrate in their personal statement that they have been in a senior management position, managing people and budgets, for more than eight years.
English language requirements
See the English language entry requirements for courses at Nottingham Business School and a full list of all English language qualifications accepted by the University.
How to apply
All applicants should complete the online application form via the apply online button at the top of this page.
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 4460
Visit the Nottingham Business School website