We encourage all our students to consider undertaking a professional work placement as part of their studies; whether it be a year-long placement or a short-term internship. Completing a placement will enhance your learning experience and provide you with the insight and skills needed to boost your career after graduation.
Our four-year undergraduate courses allow you to take part in a one-year paid placement. If you choose to study full-time for three years then you will have the opportunity to complete a short internship instead.
We also offer the BA (Hons) Business Management (2 Year In-Company) course whereby students spend their first year at NTU and the following two years employed full-time and studying. In addition to this we also offer BA (Hons) Business Management (1 Year In-Company) where students spend their second year employed full-time while studying. Short-term internships are also a compulsory part of the BA (Hons) Marketing programme, to both full-time and placement students.
If you're interested in working overseas as part of your degree, our International Business courses provide the perfect opportunity. Our BA (Hons) International Business with French and BA (Hons) International Business with Spanish provide students with the opportunity to complete a six month internship abroad. Placement opportunities overseas are available via the Placement Team, which are perfect for students studying on BA (Hons) International Business (four years). Overseas opportunities available through the Placement Team, are also available to all other placement students.
At postgraduate level, a live consultancy project is an essential part of both our MBA and Executive MBA programmes and all our full-time Masters courses, which see's students working within a business setting as consultancy group.
Benefits of a work placement
The work placement will provide you with an invaluable opportunity to get experience by engaging in business and industry practice and help develop your proposed career path.
Benefits may include:
- the development of essential personal and professional skills including confidence, communication, project and time management, team-working and problem solving
- an opportunity to gain an insight into the wider commercial aspects of business life including the management and client / company relationships
- networking opportunities
- the chance to discover and test your career options
- an opportunity to acquire references which will support future job applications in a highly competitive job market.
How we help you secure a placement
We do not place you in a role - securing a placement is a student led activity, we offer a high level of support in your search and give you all the tools you need to obtain a placement. This includes:
- One-to-one daily appointments, where we can discuss your aspirations and help you with your CV, applications and interview technique.
- Close employer relationships with over 300 companies.
- Special placement days where you can meet company representatives or current placement students who can share their experiences.
- Support for students who want to look for their own placements.
- A dedicated student portal for placement opportunities. Once logged in, you see placement vacancies that are unique to your course.
- Relevant workshops on topics such as CV’s and interviews. We invite employers in to help in activities such as mock interviews and assessment days which are great experience for the real thing.
- A dedicated placements area that you have access to in your first year on the internet, with information, hints and tips, websites and news items linked to placements that are updated weekly.
When you are on placement you will have contact from us during the year. You will have a visit from an academic tutor and come back to the University for a recall day. Should you wish to use them, you will also have access to all the University facilities and we are on hand to provide help or advice at any point during the year.
Applying for a placement
We encourage you to start thinking about the placement year during your first year at university. This is an ideal time to review your CV and fill in any gaps if you lack relevant work experience or need to develop outside interests. For further information download our placement application guide .
Employability team details:
9 am - 5 pm Monday - Thursday. 9 am - 4 pm Friday.
Business Placements: +44 (0)115 848 6492
To speak to a careers advisor please telephone: +44 (0)115 848 4626