1. I have a diagnostic assessment report that confirms I have a specific learning difficulty. What do I need to do with this?
Please email us a copy of your full diagnostic assessment, or take a copy of the report to your local Student Services Centre:

  • Student Services Centre, Central Court, Newton Arkwright Building, City site
  • Student Services Centre, George Eliot Building, Clifton campus
  • Student Services Centre, Bramley Building, Brackenhurst campus.

Alternatively, if you would like to post the report to us, the address is:

Dyslexia Support Team, Student Support Services
Nottingham Trent University
Burton Street

The Dyslexia Support Team will then advise you about the support available.

2. I am an international student with dyslexia/dyspraxia/another specific learning difficulty; what must I do before coming to NTU?
You must give us a copy in English of a full, recent, professional assessment report after having accepted a place on your course, as soon as possible. We can then consider any recommendations in the assessment report.

3. What do I need to do to organise alternative arrangements in examinations or other assessments?
Once you have provided a copy of your full diagnostic assessment we will ask you to complete a consent form. With your permission, we will inform appropriate staff within the University of any recommendations within your reports such as extra time in exams or for coursework, specialist support and enhanced library services. We can only make these arrangements if you provide us with sufficient evidence of your dyslexia or other specific learning difficulty.

4. I have handed in a copy of my diagnostic assessment report and would like to book an appointment for one-to-one support. How do I do this?
One-to-one sessions address the specific needs of students, including developing writing skills and individual coping strategies. The sessions take place within the Student Centres at each campus. To book a one to one support session with a Dyslexia Specialist or to make an appointment to discuss your support needs, please telephone +44 (0)115 848 4120 or email us.

5. What are Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)? 
As a student with a specific learning difficulty eg dyslexia or dyspraxia, you may be eligible for assistance through Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs). DSAs help pay towards extra costs you may have when studying on your course as a direct result of your specific learning difficulty.

Your student funding authority e.g. Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance NI, the Student Awards Agency for Scotland, will require a copy of a full diagnostic assessment carried out since your 16th birthday. If your assessment report was carried out before you were 16 you may be asked to have it updated by a psychologist or an appropriately qualified specialist teacher. If you require additional guidance regarding the assessment required by Student Finance for an application for DSAs, please look at the SASC website .

What can it pay for?

  • Specialist equipment allowance - e.g. a computer, specialist software, a digital recorder
  • Non-medical helpers' allowance - e.g. one to one support
  • General / other expenditure allowance - eg photocopying, printing, books

Disabled Students' Allowances are not repayable. Further information is available in Student Finance England's Bridging the Gap publication.

6. How do I apply for Disabled Students' Allowances?
Please complete a DSAs application form. For students normally resident in England, download the application forms. If you are normally resident in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, please see the following websites for information about Disabled Students' Allowances:

Alternatively, please contact the Dyslexia Support Team via email for a copy of the application form and for advice about the application process.

How long will it take my student funding authority to process my application?
It may take your student funding authority three - six weeks to process your application. They will write to you once they have done this.

7. I would like help in applying for Disabled Students' Allowances. Is this possible?
If you would like help applying for DSA, or have any questions about the DSA process, please telephone us on +44 (0)115 848 4120 or email us.

8. I have applied for DSAs and have been asked by my student funding authority to have a Study Needs Assessment. How do I arrange this?
Please see the assessing your needs section for full information.

9. I am having difficulties with my dyslexia / specific learning difficulty. Can I speak to someone about this?
Please telephone us to discuss your difficulties on +44 (0)115 848 4120 or email us. You can also use these contact details for any other questions you might have.

10. What if I'm not happy with the service?
Please talk to your dyslexia specialist or administrator first. If you would then like to make a formal complaint, please write to the Student Support Services (Disability Services) Manager at the Student Services Centre at the City site.