I know I am dyslexic

When will I hear what support is available at NTU?

Once you have decided to attend NTU, please let us know that you have a specific learning difficulty. You can disclose this on your UCAS form or by contacting us directly. We will contact you by letter before you begin your course to:

  • let you know how to access the support available at NTU
  • ask for a copy of your diagnostic assessment report.

If you give permission for us to do so, we can put the recommendations you had at school or college in place. Please print, complete and hand in the Registration and Consent Form for students with Specific Learning Difficulties  Word icon with a copy of your diagnostic assessment report.

What will I need to provide as evidence of dyslexia?

Ideally, you will need a formal psychological assessment report. This will need to have been carried out at the age of 16 or older by one of the following:

  • a chartered or educational psychologist
  • a specially qualified teacher.

They will need to be experienced in testing people for dyslexia or specific learning difficulties. Please contact us if you would like additional advice about this.

What about evidence of dyspraxia or ADHD / ADD?

Dyspraxia is often diagnosed in the same way as dyslexia. Sometimes it is assessed by a medical professional who will provide you with a doctor's letter. Usually AD(H)D is diagnosed by a medical specialist in which case we will need written confirmation from them. Please contact us if you would like additional advice about this.

What if I don't have these reports?

If you do not have any documentation, you should ask your school or college for copies of any assessment reports or confirmation of the support that you had during your studies. If you have been advised to have a screening test, formal assessment or update for dyslexia or another specific learning difficulty, we would advise you to make your own arrangements for this before you enrol at NTU. If you have had an assessment previously, you may wish to get in touch with your original psychologist and ask if they will provide you with an update or further assessment.

What are Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)?

As a student with a specific learning difficulty eg dyslexia or dyspraxia, you may be eligible for assistance through Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs). DSAs help pay towards extra costs you may have when studying on your course as a direct result of your specific learning difficulty.

Your student funding authority e.g. Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance NI, the Student Awards Agency for Scotland, will require a copy of a full diagnostic assessment carried out since your 16th birthday. If your assessment report was carried out before you were 16 you may be asked to have it updated by a psychologist or an appropriately qualified specialist teacher. If you require additional guidance regarding the assessment required by Student Finance for an application for DSAs, please look at the SASC website.

What can it pay for?

  • Specialist equipment allowance - e.g. a computer, specialist software, a digital recorder
  • Non-medical helpers' allowance - e.g. one to one support
  • General / other expenditure allowance - e.g. photocopying, printing, books

Disabled Students' Allowances are not repayable. Further information is available in the publication 'Bridging the Gap'

How do I apply for Disabled Students' Allowances?

Please complete a DSAs application form. For students normally resident in England, download the application forms. Alternatively please contact the Dyslexia Support Team for a copy of the form.

How to complete the DSAs application form:

  • If you are a full-time undergraduate student, who has applied for maintenance loans/grants, please complete the short version of the form (DSA SL).
  • If you are a full-time undergraduate student who has not applied for maintenance loans/grants, or a part time or postgraduate student, please complete the full version of the form (DSA LF). You will need to ask your Academic School Office to confirm your place/attendance in section 5 of the application form.
  • Please send the completed application form, with a copy of your full diagnostic assessment, to your student funding authority, e.g. Student Finance England.
  • The address for Student Finance England is Student Finance England, PO Box 210, Darlington, DL1 9HJ.
  • If you would like help completing the form, or have any questions about the application process, please contact the Dyslexia Support Team for advice on 0115 848 4120.

If you are normally resident in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, please see the following websites for information about Disabled Students' Allowances:

Alternatively, please contact the Dyslexia Support Team for a copy of the application form and for advice about the application process.

How long will it take my student funding authority to process my application?

It may take your student funding authority three to six weeks to process your application. They will write to you once they have done this.

I have applied for DSAs and have been asked by my student funding authority to have a Study Needs Assessment. How do I arrange this?

Please see the assessing your needs section for full information.

If you have any questions about your DSAs application, please contact the Dyslexia Support Team on +44 (0)115 848 4120 / 2399 or email.

Further information

Watch excerpts from the BBC3 documentary called Don't call me stupid.

Student recieving support
A student chatting