The support we provide
We provide you with a range of services and support to ensure your experience at NTU is a positive one. We are about more than just educational advice and guidance. We will support you, so that you can:
- integrate and feel at home here
- contribute to your community
- develop your academic potential
- prepare for life and work.
Our services include:
- advice from Disability Officers on physical and sensory support
- specialist diagnostics and one-to-one support with a range of Specific learning difficulties
- advice and one-to-one support with mental health difficulties
- mentoring and advice for students with autism spectrum conditions
- advice about specialist grants and paying for additional support
- in-house facilities to assess your learning support needs
- careers advice
- library Support
- support during exams
- support in lectures and other teaching sessions - The Disability Support Worker Scheme offers trained support workers for disabled students. We can provide you with the following.
Students who are unable to take their own notes can use the services of a notetaker in their academic sessions. The notes
can be provided in print format if necessary.
Support workers are available to read aloud study material provided by the student, or to record material onto digital format.
Registered Interpreters (RIs) and Trainee Interpreters (TIs) provide translation and interpretation of spoken English into BSL.
Interpreters are booked through local agencies. If you will require a support worker, please email us or telephone us on +44 (0)115 848 2085 to arrange this.
Depending on individual requirements, personal assistants can be provided to:
- assist students with mobility difficulties
- guide and provide orientation for visually impaired students
- assist with carrying of books and bags, etc.
See the physical and sensory support frequently asked questions for more information.
What if I'm not happy with the service?
Please talk to your support worker or the administrator first. If you would then like to make a formal complaint, please write to the Student Support Services (Disability Services) Manager at the Student Services Centre at the City site.
Contact the Disability Support Service
Telephone: +44 (0)115 848 2085