Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany
Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (HRH Prince Leopold George Duncan Albert of Great Britain and Ireland) was the son of Queen Victoria and her husband, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha
He was born in Buckingham Palace on the 7 April 1853. He was created Duke of Albany, Earl of Clarence and Baron Arklow on 24 May 1881. On 27 April 1882 in St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, he married HSH Princess Helene Friederike Auguste of Waldeck and Pyrmont.
As part of his royal duties, he opened the University College (Arkwright building) on 30 June 1881. From its foundation, the University College came under the authority of the Nottingham Corporation and the College's management committee was controlled by the Town Council. From 1906 to 1908 DH Lawrence was a student at the University College. In August 1948, the University College received the royal charter granting full university status and the power to confer its own degrees (prior to this date students at Nottingham received degrees from the University of London). The university relocated to its present Highfields site between Lenton, Dunkirk and Beeston, land donated by Jesse Boot, in 1928. Parts of the old University College buildings were then used as Nottingham Central Library before becoming what is today part of Nottingham Trent University.