School of Art and Design
NTU are offering first year students in sixth form and college a unique opportunity to team up with current NTU Art & Design students to develop commercial awareness and enterprise skills in the creative industry.
- From: Wednesday 12 March 2014, 12 am
- To: Friday 30 May 2014, 12 am
- Location: Bonington building, Nottingham Trent University, City Campus, Shakespeare Street, Nottingham, NG1 5LS
- Download this event to your calendar
Students in their first year of sixth form and college are invited to join our NTU staff and students on this exciting new initiative helping young people to explore their creative talents and business future. The emphasis of the project is on designing a commercial product (in this case; creating a design for a ceramic mug) and testing it at market.
This event is a continual intervention running from March until May 2014. Students who book onto this event must be available to attend on the following days:
- Wednesday 12, 19, 26 March from 5 pm - 7 pm
- Wednesday 2 April from 5 pm – 7 pm
- Friday 30 May from 2 pm – 4 pm
- Sales platform in May (date and times TBC)
Over a series of masterclasses you will:
- Learn how to design for a market, considering customer, price point, market, event, competitor and trend awareness
- Create, review and identify product design ideas including theme, image, colour, size of design, Pinterest mood boards
- Produce final design idea digitally, Photoshop, apply ceramic decals to mugs, deliver to kiln for firing
- Explore how to differentiate your product through branding, identify brand values and brand name, explore visual communication and develop a logo, A3 poster and other marketing materials
- Discover how to establish the right price, including accounts, costing, price point, price drop / discount strategies
- Be introduced to sales, how to engage your customer, customer feedback, taking the money, security, keeping accounts and establish your sales plan
- Live sales platform in May in the Creative Quarter (further details to be announced)
- Review project, present sales figures, reflect on which designs performed well
- You will also get special access to our end of year Degree Shows – showcasing our final year Art & Design students' work.
There are 20 places available on this event with a maximum of five places per booking.
This is a free event.
Bookings are welcome from individual students or school / college groups. To book onto this event, please click the Add to basket button.
For further information or if you have any queries, please email Esther Johnson or telephone +44 (0)115 848 6588.
*For group bookings please be aware of the following: We are required to target learners who are from disadvantaged backgrounds and statistically less likely to progress on to further and higher education. We are required to ensure that at least 66% of the learners who engage in our activities meet one or more of these criteria. These include learners who:
- reside in deprived neighbourhoods, where progression rates to higher education are low
- are from low socio-economic background
- are currently in receipt of a post-16 bursary
- are in receipt of free school meals
- are currently looked-after / in care or have recently left care
- have a disability
- post-16 students on vocational qualifications in state funded institutions (who are doing no more than one standard A-level)
- mature students (those on an Access course and / or those over 21-years-old).
We can help you identify a cohort if you could provide us with the postcodes of learners within your group and an explanation of how they meet the above criteria. Please contact us for more information.