Annual Christmas Science Lecture
Let it Snow: The Science of Snowflakes
We are proud to offer the first in a new series of Annual Christmas Science lectures from Nottingham Trent University.
Inspired by the Royal Institution, this dynamic and interactive lecture series has been designed to excite and enthrall A-level Science students, igniting their passion for science.
- From: Tuesday 9 December 2014, 12 am
- To: Tuesday 9 December 2014, 12 am
- Location: John Clare Lecture Theatre 6, John Clare Lecture Theatre, Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Campus, Clifton Lane, Nottingham, NG11 8NS
- Booking deadline: Monday 8 December 2014, 12.00 am
- Download this event to your calendar
This unique event is for Year 12 and 13 students with an interest Mathematics and Physics.
Through demonstration, discussion and interactive exploration, this lecture will examine the fascinating history and modern day science behind snowflakes.
Students will gain an understanding of six-fold symmetry and what constitutes fractals. We will look at the theory of chaos in relation to snowflakes and carry out a number of exciting demonstrations and hands-on practical experiments, such as:
- making snowflakes from gallium
- the double pendulum chaotic demonstration
- grow your own snowflakes
- using Matlab software, create a unique fractal snowflake.
1.15 pm - 2 pm: Registration and Welcome
2 pm - 3.15 pm: Science of Snowflakes Annual Christmas Lecture
3.30 pm: Close
About the lecturers
The lecture will be jointly delivered by our award-winning NTU teaching team:
- Dr James Hind will be representing our highly regarded BSc (Hons) Mathematics course which achieved 100% student satisfaction in this year's National Student Survey.
- Dr David Fairhurst, Admissions Tutor and Physics lecturer was awarded the Outstanding Teaching Award by NTU students in 2013.
This unique event is for Year 12 and 13 students with an interest Mathematics and Physics. The lecture will introduce students to undergraduate course material and give them the opportunity to experience the University learning environment in a fun and exciting way.
How to book
The event is free of charge to Year 12 and 13 school science groups. You can reserve places for your student group by:
- clicking on the 'add to basket' tab at the top of this page and following the booking instructions; or
- by emailing Janet Northover.
There is free parking available on campus. Upon arrival at Clifton campus, please enter via the North Gate.