2015 Annual Christmas Science Lecture
Rainbows: From beginning to end
We are proud to offer the second in a series of Annual Christmas Science lectures from Nottingham Trent University.
Inspired by the Royal Institution, this dynamic and interactive lecture series has been designed to excite and enthrall A-level Science students, igniting their passion for science.
- From: Tuesday 15 December 2015, 12 am
- To: Tuesday 15 December 2015, 12 am
- Location: Lecture Theatre 3, Clifton campus, Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Campus, Clifton Lane, Nottingham, NG11 8NS
- Booking deadline: Tuesday 15 December 2015, 12.00 am
- Download this event to your calendar
Who doesn't love a rainbow? Transient and beautiful, the rainbow is truly one of the greatest wonders of the natural world.
In our second Annual Christmas Science Lecture we will be exploring the fascinating science behind the rainbow phenomena. This innovative and inspiring lecture will be jam-packed with rainbow-related science and philosophical debate, including topics on:
- the composition of the Sun
- properties of the liquid
- surface tension
- human vision
- the art and science of wonder.
Who is it for?
The Annual Christmas Lecture is designed to give year 12 and 13 science students a taste of undergraduate level science content in a University environment. The lecture format is inspired by the annual Royal Institute Annual Christmas Lecture Series and provides students with plenty of opportunities for interaction and involvement.
1.30 pm - 2 pm: Registration and Welcome
2 pm - 3.15 pm: Rainbows: From beginning to end
3.30 pm: Close
About the lecturers
The lecture will be delivered by our outstanding NTU teaching team:
- Dr David Fairhurst, Physics lecturer and Postgraduate Programmes Manager
- Dr Muriel Funck, Chemistry and Forensic Science lecturer and Admissions Tutor for Forensic Science
This unique event is for Year 12 and 13 students with an interest Mathematics and Physics. The lecture will introduce students to undergraduate course material and give them the opportunity to experience the University learning environment in a fun and exciting way.
How to book
The event is free of charge to Year 12 and 13 school science groups. You can reserve places for your student group by:
- clicking on the add to basket tab at the top of this page and following the booking instructions; or
- by emailing our events team.
There is free parking available on campus. Upon arrival at Clifton campus, please enter via the North Gate.