An introduction to R – a powerful tool for statistical analysis and data visualisation
This four-hour workshop will give you a brief introduction to data analysis techniques, create striking and unique data visualisations, and get better results faster. You will learn the basic concepts of R and how to benefit from utilising this powerful analysis tool.
- From: Friday 12 May 2017, 12 am
- To: Friday 12 May 2017, 12 am
- Location: MAE006, Mary Ann Evans building, Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Campus, Clifton Lane, Nottingham, NG11 8NS
- Booking deadline: Thursday 11 May 2017, 12.00 am
- Download this event to your calendar
R is a free software programming language and software environment for statistical computing and graphics. R is used by some of the largest organisations in the world and many more statisticians and data miners for developing statistical software and data analysis.
This four-hour workshop, delivered by Dr Golnaz Shahtahmassebi and Dr Ben Dickins, will give you a brief introduction to data analysis techniques, help you to create striking and unique data visualisations, and get better results faster. You will learn the basic concepts of R and how to benefit from using this powerful analysis tool.
Who’s it suitable for? Anyone who wants to learn R or wants to know what R is, is welcome to attend. You do not need any prior knowledge of R or programming, but a basic understanding of statistics would be helpful. The number who can attend is limited, so book early to avoid disappointment.
You will learn:
- R’s basic concepts
- components including the R environment
- about data objects
- about working with data generating standard graphics
- how to produce summary statistics
- how to carry out analysis of variance or regression analysis
- how to calculate sample size and the power of a statistical test.
You will gain:
- an insight in to the R environment
- basic skills in R such as installing R and using R help
- skills in handling data
- experience in performing simple statistical analysis.
We will also show you some examples of how to customise R basic graphics and some advanced capabilities associated of data visualisation in R.
Do remember: There are four Rs of education: Reading, wRiting, aRithmetic — and R. Make sure you master them all!
Please note: This workshop is for NTU students and staff only.
For any enquiries please email email@example.com