Passing the Literacy QTS Skills Test
Have you applied for a teacher-training course?
Worried about passing the QTS skills tests?
Join us for this free short course to refresh your knowledge and prepare for the literacy test.
- From: Friday 5 May 2017, 9.30 am
- To: Friday 5 May 2017, 12.30 pm
- Location: Clifton campus, Nottingham Trent University, Clifton Campus, Clifton Lane, Nottingham, NG11 8NS
Applicants for initial teacher-training (ITT) courses which begin in 2017/18 and beyond are required to have passed the QTS skills tests in both numeracy and literacy before the start of their course. This applies to those intending to follow an employment-based route into teaching, such as School Direct, as well as those intending to take the PGCE route or an assessment-only route.
Nottingham Trent University's Institute of Education are offering a free short course in literacy to help applicants for ITT prepare for this test. The course is open to all ITT applicants regardless of their intended route or ITT provider.
A refresher session is also available for the Professional Skills Test in Numeracy, and must be booked separately.
This course will cover the key knowledge required to pass the literacy test including:
- commonly misspelt words
- the rules of grammar
- a guide to accurate paragraphing
- the format of the QTS comprehension test
- a guide to ensuring and checking for correct answers.
The literacy course consists of a morning classroom session (9.30 am - 12.30 pm)
Free parking is available on the Cliftom Campus.
Travelling by car?
For complete road directions from anywhere in the UK, get directions to NTU. The Clifton Campus postcode is NG11 8NS.
- From the South: Exit the M1 at Junction 24 and follow the A453 towards the city. Clifton Campus is on the left-hand side approximately seven miles from the motorway.
- From the A60 North: Leave the A60 at A6514 and follow the Ring Road for approximately eight miles. Keep in the right-hand lane as the road splits in two and follow the road under the overpass, signposted M1 South. Go straight ahead at the roundabout and Clifton Campus is on your right-hand side.
- From the A60 South: Join the A52 and exit at A453, signposted M1 South. Go straight ahead at the roundabout and Clifton Campus is on your right-hand side.
- From the A52: Leave the A52 at A453, signposted M1 South. Go straight ahead at the roundabout and Clifton Campus is on your right-hand side.
Travelling by bus? (outside of term-time)
Please use bus service no. 1. More details and a timetable are available from the Nottingham City Transport website.
Travelling by bus? (in term-time)
Please use bus service Go 2 Uni 4 to the Clifton Campus, or number one to Clifton Lane. More details and timetables are available from the Nottingham City Transport website.