Design Ideas to Production
Enabling Innovation - Design Innovation Workshop Series
Practical demonstrations and ‘design thinking’ tips and ideas to help develop your idea from the concept stage through to a finished design.
- From: Wednesday 1 November 2017, 9 am
- To: Wednesday 1 November 2017, 1 pm
- Registration: 9 am
- Location: Nottingham Trent University, Shakespeare Street, Nottingham, NG1 4FQ
- Booking deadline: Wednesday 1 November 2017, 12.00 am
- Download this event to your calendar
This hands-on workshop will provide practical demonstrations and ‘design thinking’ tips and ideas to help develop your idea from the concept stage through to a finished design. To follow on from this we encourage you to book on to the ‘Prototyping’ workshop on 8 November, which will help to complete the design process. This workshop will be led by Ross Kemp of Asap Watercrafts.
- Idea development and selection
- Example brief introduction
- Creative thinking activity in groups using example brief
- Idea selection and presented back to group
- How to develop and add detail to ideas
- 2D and 3D sketching techniques and short exercises
- Sketch development of example idea
- Introduction to prototyping uses, techniques, tools, including examples
- Prototype testing – methods of development testing
- Activity prototyping example idea from materials provided
- Applying everything learnt from development and prototyping to manufacture design
- Manufacture / process selection and designing for chosen process
- Activity deciding how example idea will be manufactured
Ross Kemp, Asap Watercrafts
Ross is the designer and inventor of Asap electric water crafts – electric powered water craft for rescue and play, water crafts are engineered to power through surf, across lakes and rivers for rescuers to reach people in trouble faster.
From testing with the Bondi Rescue Lifeguards in Australia with Richard Branson’s help, to interviews with the BBC and CNN, whilst treading water in a cold lake. Ross and the product have made national and international news, on his journey to bringing the product into production.
Ross has won the Lloyds Bank Best UK Start Up award 2013, a Grand Idea award from Shell, an Entrepreneurship award from Santander and a Think Big award from Loughborough University.
See more at: www.asapwatercrafts.com
9 am - Registration and networking breakfast
9:45 am - The Fuzzy Front End
10:15 am - Development
11:15 am - Break and refreshments
11:30 am - Finishing sketch development work on example idea
11:45 am - Why prototype?
12:30 pm - Design for Manufacture
1 pm - Production options and selection
1:30 pm - Lunch and networking
2 pm - Close
The event is part of a series of design workshops that will take place at Nottingham Trent University from October through to December, 2017:
Successful Entrepreneurs in Design: 27 September, 9 am - 1 pm
I.P. for Designers / Inventors / Makers: 4 October, 9 am - 1 pm
Design Ideas to Production: 1 November, 9 am - 1 pm
Prototyping: 8 November, 9 am - 1 pm
Packaging Design: 6 December, 9 am - 1 pm
These events are free to attend, but attendees must register in advance. In order to attend you must be eligible for support from the Enabling Innovation Programme, which supports SMEs in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.
Enabling Innovation is a three-year collaboration between Nottingham Trent University, the University of Nottingham, and the University of Derby to support SMEs in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire to innovate. It is part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
To book please click the 'Reserve your place' button above and complete the short online booking process.
This event is free to attend, but attendees must register in advance. In order to attend this event you must be eligible for support from the Enabling Innovation Programme, which supports SMEs in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire.
If you would like any further information about this event before booking your place, please email us.