Fine Art Live Lecture Series presents: Ruth Angel Edwards
Fine Art Lecture Series
We are delighted to invite Ruth Angel Edwards to speak as part of the 2017 Fine Art Live Lecture Series.
Edwards is a multimedia artist whose work explores the communication of ideology through popular culture. Drawing from mainstream and subcultural youth movements from the past and present, Edwards looks at the way audio and visual content is used to manipulate an audience and disseminate information.
- From: Thursday 25 January 2018, 5.15 pm
- To: Thursday 25 January 2018, 7.30 pm
- Location: Lecture Theatre 2, Newton building, Main Entrance, Nottingham Trent University, City Campus, Goldsmith Street, Nottingham, NG1 4BU
- Download this event to your calendar
Working between video, audio, sculpture, performance and print, Edwards explores subcultures, tracing their paths and examining the wider socio-economic environments that give rise to them, exposing their failures and flaws and uncovering lost spiritualities and hidden positive potential.
This live lecture coincides with Edwards' solo exhibition Wheel of the Year – ! Effluent Profundel Zone ! which is showing in Bonington Gallery until the 16 February 2018. A new commission for Bonington Gallery, this immersive installation considers the inescapable cycles of waste and decay, a by-product of all our consumption, personal or material.
The exhibition explores how these ecologies overlap at different scales – from the futile pursuit of personal purification and ‘clean living’, to the increasingly rapid turnover of cultural ‘content’ in the media and popular consciousness, to the wider perspective of the waste which is polluting our oceans, and threatening our very existence.
Recent exhibitions include:
- Wheel of the Year – ! Effluent Profundel Zone !, Bonington Gallery, 12 January – 16 February 2018
- Enema Salvatore! , Almanac, Turin, 2017
- Light Deception / The Great Imitator, Auto Italia South East, London, 2017
- a solo exhibition at Arcadia Missa, London, 2016
- Info Pura, The Residence Gallery, London 2016
- Derivatives and Futures, Human Resources, Los Angeles, 2016
- A British Art Show, MEYOHAS, New York, 2015
Please visit Edwards' website for more details about her work.
No prior booking required
This event is open to students, staff, alumni, and the general public.
Admission is free.
About the Fine Art Live Lectures Series
The Fine Art Live Lecture Series is an initiative by Nottingham Trent University's Fine Art course, whereby creative practitioners are invited to deliver a lecture to current students. The lectures are also open to staff, alumni and the general public.
Please note: The Fine Art Live Lectures take place during term-time only, complimentary refreshments are not served at these events.
The course also has an informal Facebook page giving details about forthcoming lectures.
For all enquiries, please email us or telephone +44 (0)115 848 8492
Image: Ruth Angel Edwards
Our City Campus is located in Nottingham city centre. There are a number of public car parks within a short walk from the University – Trinity Square and Talbot Street. There is also limited metered on-street parking on Chaucer and Shakespeare Streets.
If you’re intending to park in the city centre, the closest (and largest) facilities to our City Campus are: