International Conference on Vertical Farming
Smart Green Growth
Vertical farming is a new hope for global food security. The International Conference on Vertical Farming 2020 will focus on the next steps for future agriculture and aims to create a revolutionary vision for “Smart Green Growth”. It brings together scientists, engineers, industrialists, investors and policymakers to tackle the challenges through research & technology solutions and hear from successful commercial adoption.
- From: Tuesday 7 April 2020, 10 am
- To: Wednesday 8 April 2020, 4 pm
- Location: Newton building, Nottingham Trent University, City Campus, NG1 4BU
- Booking deadline: Monday 6 April 2020, 3.00 pm
- Download this event to your calendar
World agriculture is undergoing a transition to new technological paradigms. The increasing world population, the global trend to urbanisation, climate change, pressure on natural resources and Brexit are key drivers for policies on global food security. There is an urgent need to identify and develop innovative methods for sustainable food production. Vertical farming is a promising way that could offer sustainable and innovative solutions for improving food security.
Nottingham Trent University’s International Conference on Vertical Farming will explore the opportunities from developments in Smart Green Growth for sustainable agriculture and global food security. It brings together scientists, engineers, industrialists, investors and policymakers to tackle the challenges through research & technology solutions, and hear from successful commercial adoption.
The conference will cover the three essential approaches to:
*SMART - Automation, Robotics, and how Big Data & AI can increase efficiencies.
*GREEN - How research across Plant Science, LED lighting, urban greening, pharmaceutical crops and food quality can help future growing systems.
*GROWTH - How Vertical Farming markets and supply could grow into commercial profitable ventures and the positive impact it could deliver for our health and our economies.
Notable speakers include:
- Dickson Despommier - Emeritus Professor of Microbiology and Public Health at Columbia University, USA
- Christine Zimmerman-Lössl – Chair, Association for Vertical Farming EU
- Simon Pearson - Professor of Agri-Food Technology Research, University of Lincoln, UK
- Ian Cox – Innovation Lead, Agri-Tech Centres, Innovate UK
- Leo Marcelis - Professor, Wangningen University, Netherlands
- Qichang Yang - Professor, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China
- Jung Eek Son - Professor, Department of Plant Science, Seoul National University, South Korea
- Hong Liu – Professor, School Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Beihang University, Beijing, China
The two-day conference programme will include talks, panel discussions, interactive workshops and a gala dinner options.