Across Frontiers: Magazines and Translation after 1945
To accompany Bonington Gallery's Vitrines exhibition, Spaces of Translation: European Magazines, 1945-65, Alison E. Martin, Marina Popea, and Andrew Thacker will discuss some of the fascinating material they have found in their research so far.
- From: Wednesday 8 March 2023, 5.30 pm
- To: Wednesday 8 March 2023, 6.30 pm
- Location: Online,
- Cost: Free
- Download this event to your calendar
The Spaces of Translation project studies a small collection of important literary and cultural magazines from three countries (Britain, France, Germany) in order to consider how they explore and construct notions of European identity in the period from the end of the Second World War to the mid-1960s.
At the heart of the project is a focus upon the practice of translation:
- What is the significance of the translation of works of poetry, fiction, criticism, and non-fiction in our corpus of periodicals in this period?
- How do translated texts operate as vehicles for the forging of new European identities?
- Does the crossing of linguistic boundaries produce alliances across frontiers?
The current exhibition at Bonington Gallery explores a number of these issues and displays a range of original magazines from 1945-65.
Alison E. Martin, Marina Popea, and Andrew Thacker will discuss some of the fascinating material they have found in their research so far. The event will be chaired by Dr Annalise Grice, Department of English, NTU.
Free – taking place online.
Find out more on the Bonington Gallery website and book your place.
Student and Staff free VIP Membership
Get exclusive access to ticket offers, discounts and Curated & Created event announcements with our free VIP Membership for NTU/Confetti students and staff.
- Sign up for Curated & Created’s NTU student VIP membership
- Sign up for Curated & Created’s NTU staff VIP membership
Curated & Created – sign up to our mailing list
This event is part of Curated & Created, NTU’s arts programme – sign up to our public mailing list to hear about our events and offers.