Roundtable: Engaging with Language as Heritage
Nottingham Trent University is pleased to host the roundtable event: Engaging with Language as Heritage. The event will bring together practitioners, academics and others interested in language heritage to share good practice and discuss how the UK can safeguard language heritage in future.
- When: Wednesday 1 March 2023, 9.30 am
- Registration: 9 am - 9.30 am
- Location: Clifton Campus, College Drive, Nottingham, NG11 8NF
- Booking deadline: Wednesday 22 February 2023, 4.00 pm
- Download this event to your calendar
- Clara Arokiasamy (ICOMOS)
- Alison McCleery (Edinburgh Napier University)
- Jacob O’Sullivan (Museums Galleries Scotland)
The UK has no national framework for safeguarding language or other forms of intangible cultural heritage as the UK has not ratified the UNESCO Treaty on the Safeguarding of the Intangible Heritage. However, there is a range of projects taking place across the UK to capture, celebrate and revitalise varieties of language and intangible cultural heritage.
This roundtable aims to bring together a network of local and national practitioners, policy makers, academics and other people involved in culture, heritage and education to facilitate exchange of language, identity and heritage knowledge and innovation.
Roundtable presentations and discussions will include:
- developing good practice in safeguarding language as intangible cultural heritage;
- collaborating with communities and project partners on projects relating to linguistic heritage;
- how UK museums, libraries and other heritage organisations are currently working with language; and
- how the UK can best safeguard its linguistic heritage under UNESCO or alternative processes.
This event is free to attend and is funded by the Nottingham Trent University Quality Research Policy Support Fund from Research England.
We look forward to welcoming you to Nottingham Trent University to share ideas and advance this important area of heritage
Registration opens at 9 am, with the first session starting at 9.30 am.
The event is due to end at 5 pm.
Lunch will be provided. Please add any dietary requirements on the booking form.
Car parking: If you require parking, please add your name and car registration to the special requirements of the booking form.
Registration is for the in-person event. If you can not attend in person and wish to explore virtual participation, please contact email@example.com
Parking is available only for booked visitors in the Main Gate car park. Please add your name and car registration to the Special requirements section when booking.
Enter the campus via Main Gate only.
Ensure you allow for sufficient time since you will need to contact security at the barrier to identify the event you wish to visit.
College Dr, Clifton, Nottingham NG11 8NS
The satnav postcode for our Clifton Campus is NG11 8NS.
If you’re planning on coming by train, timetable information is available from National Rail. Nottingham Station is located approximately four miles from our Clifton Campus.
You can catch the Go2 Uni 4 bus from just outside the station from every seven minutes at peak lecture times, and until midnight Monday–Saturday. Visit the Nottingham City Transport (NCTX) website for more information.
Nottingham City Transport (NCTX) operate the Go2 Uni 4 bus service between our City Campus and Clifton Campus during term-time only