Skip to content

Varsity Lacrosse 2015: Match Report

On Tuesday 28 May 2015, the Lacrosse team from the University of Nottingham visited Clifton campus to take on Nottingham Trent University, in the Annual Varsity Series.

By NTU student Alex Murphy

Nottingham Trent University Lacrosse were unable to capitalise on a strong start against cross city rivals University of Nottingham and retain the varsity title.

A disappointing second quarter left NTU chasing their opponents, and despite a resurgence in the final quarter, it wasn't to be.
UoN won the opening face-off and took the ball into NTU's half, but their attack was quickly overturned and a clinical finish from first year scholar Jamie Powell gave NTU an early lead.

NTU then doubled their lead, with the other scholars combining and Will Hardy feeding Tom Perera, who put UoN on the back foot.

NTU's current VP Sports, Paddy Atkinson, put NTU three up after running unchallenged into the UoN crease and firing home from 15 yards out.

Two goals for UoN's American scholars helped them claw back the deficit, only for Miles Bennett to cut past his marker and bring the NTU advantage back up to two with a fine goal.

Two more goals for UoN left the score 4-4 going into the first break.

UoN started strongly in the second quarter, with four quick goals putting them 8-4 up.

A volley of shots by NTU came to nothing, but the pink defence kept the UoN attack at bay until Jack Heath snatched a goal through a good assist from Powell.

UoN pulled one back only for Bennett to fire into the top corner while under pressure.

NTU went into half time trailing by three, 9-6.

Two quick goals for Beeston increased their advantage to five goals, until Will Hardy skipped past his marker to pull one back for NTU.

NTU were again unlucky not to score, with Powell beating three defenders only to be denied by the UoN keeper.

The fourth quarter was hotly contested, with both sides sharing possession while the defences stood strong.

Hardy put in a huge hit on the UoN keeper who had foolishly ventured out of his goal and into the field of play, forcing a substitution through injury.

UoN got revenge with a goal after the restart, only for NTU to score two in as many minutes through Perera and Powell who easily slotted past the replacement goalie. Hardy added his second and closed the gap to 13-10.

UoN played keep ball, trying to run down the clock and keep the dominant NTU offence at bay. Two more goals for UoN brought the score to 14-10, and with time ticking away, they bagged another couple at the death to bring the final score to 16-10.

At the end of the second day of the series, University of Nottingham lead 5-1.

Varsity Lacrosse 2015: Match Report

Published on 30 April 2015
  • Category: Sport

Still need help?

+44 (0)115 941 8418