Skip to content

Men's Football 1 consolidate their League title with a win

Men's Football 1 beat Warwick in their last league fixture of the year, consolidating their League title.

Two late first half goals were enough to hand NTUFC Men’s 1 all three points in their final league game of the season against Warwick University.

Defender Elliot Baker opened the scoring in the 45th minute from a brilliant in swinging corner from Josh Barr-Rostron, who was a threat all game.

Just seconds later NTU doubled their lead thanks to a good finish from Jack Duffy after a neat build-up.

Warwick came close in the second half hitting the bar, but NTU eased to victory in the end.

It was a quiet opening 20 minutes, with the first real chance falling to NTU’s Barr-Rostron, who over-hit a great pull-back from defender Rackeem Reid just over the bar.

Warwick’s first chance came on 31 minutes when their right-back delivered a teasing cross that caused havoc in the penalty area, but no red shirt could capitalise and it was eventually cleared.

Just four minutes later it was the home side who nearly opened the scoring through Duffy, but his header was parried away by the goalkeeper after a good centre by Josh Rae.

On 40 minutes, Warwick missed a great opportunity when NTU goalkeeper Jake Wood dropped an incoming corner, but the cleanly hit rebound was blocked by a defender.

Approaching first-half stoppage time the hosts eventually broke the deadlock.

Barr-Rostron’s brilliant corner was met by centre-back Elliot Baker who headed home, only to be subsisted after sustaining a knee injury in the process which required lengthy treatment.

It was then 2-0 before the break thanks to striker Jack Duffy who placed an unstoppable shot across the goalkeeper after good play in midfield.

In the second half, the away side started a lot brighter than they did the first.

Warwick’s centre-back saw his header from a free-kick go wide before they then hit the bar on 63 minutes with a lob that went over Wood in goal, and agonisingly out for a goal-kick.

Four minutes later NTU should have made it three, when O’Malley blazed a first-time shot over the bar, after Warwick failed to deal with a cross.

The game then became stretched and end-to-end, as Warwick saw another shot just wide of the post on 69 minutes. This was followed by NTU’s lively substitute striker Dylan Otshudy coming close at the other end but his close-range shot was blocked by the ‘keeper.

Warwick’s centre-back skipper excellently blocked an Otshudy shot that looked a certain goal on 79 minutes, which would have sealed the points.

In the dying moments of the game, Otshudy somehow managed to miss an open net from a matter of yards after yet another great Barr-Rostron delivery and it finished 2-0.

By Alex Storey - Volunteer



Men's Football 1 consolidate their League title with a win

Published on 10 March 2017
  • Category: Sport

Still need help?

+44 (0)115 941 8418