Skip to content

NTU back to winning ways in hard fought victory against Cardiff Met

This week NTU looked to get back to winning ways at Lady Bay following last week’s defeat. On Wednesday 17 October, the team took on undefeated Cardiff Met who finished third in the league last season.

Several NTU Men's Rugby Union Players Huddle Around
NTU Men's Rugby Union
Credit: BUCS Super Rugby

After falling to a 41-36 defeat away to Bath last week, NTU wanted to pick up points quickly. Coming in to the game, Cardiff Met had won two from two, beating Cardiff 31-17 and Loughborough 21-17.

NTU looked to add a second victory to their tally, having taken the win in their season opener against Loughborough. But the beginning of the game resembled last week’s game against Bath, as it was initially a poor start early on for NTU. Cardiff Met capitalised on a pop pass from within the first five minutes: NTU 0-7 CDM.

But it was NTU to reply almost immediately after a driving maul down the left hand side before Cardiff Met went ahead after a period of injury stoppage, with a penalty kick: NTU 7-10 CDM.

The opposition’s forwards were able to test their strength, taking a scrum on the 22 metre line. NTU retained the ball at the scrum after a series of breaks on the left hand side.

This led to the pink team going over thanks to some solid speed from Harry Graham. The kick from Max Craven was good and NTU took the lead once again: NTU 14-10 CDM.

At this stage the game was being played at full throttle, both teams taking big hits all over the pitch. NTU were awarded a penalty on the Cardiff Met five metre line which led to a rolling maul. The Met defence stood strong, but some solid work from NTU’s Cecil MacCarthy saw him go over and another good conversion from Craven helped to extend NTU’s lead: NTU 21-10 CDM.

With just under 10 minutes remaining of the first half, both teams were playing at pace. An error at the NTU lineout gifted Cardiff Met possession but after the ball fell forward NTU received a scrum on the halfway. NTU kicked the ball well to the Cardiff Met back five, which earned them a series of penalty lineouts with under three minutes left in the half, ending with NTU getting another three points on the board: NTU 24-10 CDM.

The second half started just as the first finished with high energy and big tackles. Big collisions on the NTU 22 metre line led to new front rows for both teams. After five minutes of the second half Cardiff Met went over once again: NTU 24-15 CDM.

With 20 minutes left on the clock a driving lineout from NTU was halted by Cardiff Met as they turned possession over. A slew of penalties, but good work from NTU saw them win a penalty from a Cardiff Met lineout with five minutes to play.

NTU went for a winning bonus point via a driving lineout with the clock on 80 minutes. The ball came back to the team for a scrum; NTU kicked it out to win the game.

At the full time whistle scores stood at NTU 24-18 Cardiff Met. Every single player had battled throughout the game, it was a stellar win for the team as they ended Cardiff Mets unbeaten start to the season.

The victory puts NTU up to fifth position in the table, one point ahead of Cardiff Met. The team get straight back to training with sights firmly set on their next game against Loughborough.

Next game: Loughborough v Nottingham Trent
Date: 24/10/2018
Kick off time: 13:00
Follow @NTURugbyUnion on Twitter and Instagram for match updates.

NTU back to winning ways in hard fought victory against Cardiff Met

Published on 19 October 2018
  • Category: Sport

Still need help?

+44 (0)115 941 8418