Character education is an emerging pedagogical approach to increasing the academic attainment of learners through the development and awareness of character.
The Department for Education understands character education to include any activities that aim to develop desirable character traits or attributes in children and young people. They believe that such desirable character traits:
- Can support improved academic attainment;
- Are valued by employers; and
- Can enable children to make a positive contribution to British society.
Nottingham Trent University has identified six characteristics present in successful students, known as PEPPER:
- Purpose – a sense of self and academic purpose
- Effort – an ability to draw on intrinsic motivation to ensure effort across all aspects of academia
- Positivity – the ability to remain positive in the face of academic adversity
- Personal responsibility – an understanding of personal agency in success
- Enquiring mind – asking questions in and around the current learning
- Resilience – identifying where there are opportunities to develop through challenges
PEPPER is a reflective framework with its themes underpinning activities and provision.
The three-part PEPPER programme offers schools the opportunity to engage learners in social action as a vehicle for the development of, and reflection on, the above character virtues. Schools will be expected to identify a cohort of learners to take part in two sessions at NTU and who will be supported through undertaking a social action project in their school or local community. The three sessions will be undertaken over the course of a full term and support will be in the form of role models and NTU staff and resources.
Year group: year 9
Cohort size: 20-25 pupils
Cohort demographic: pupils undertaking PEPPER programmes are expected to be from a widening participation background
To register your interest please contact your Stakeholder Engagement Coordinator or school contact. If you don’t have a school contact, please email CenSCE for more information.