Priority Skills for D2N2 SMEs
NTU is delivering a free three-day course for women in small and medium enterprises designed to help develop their careers, and their capability to manage and lead within their organisations.
Women in Leadership course
Nottingham Business School (NBS) is delighted to offer a fully-funded course to women managers and leaders, and aspiring leaders from within our local small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) community.
The Managing and Leading People in Organisations module for Women in Leadership is designed to help women in SMEs to develop their careers and their capability to manage and lead within their organisations.
Delivered as a standalone course, it is accredited at postgraduate level. On completion of two short assignments at Pass grade, you will gain 20 credits which can be used towards a further postgraduate qualification and as evidence of professional, accredited leadership development. The course has been designed to be accessible to those without higher education experience.
The Women in Leadership module is part of the High Level Skills programme which is part-funded by the European Social Fund (ESF).
Who will benefit?
The project will specifically support employees who may face additional barriers to high-level skills, including:
- employees aged 50+
- employees with disabilities
- Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) staff
- those who have previously missed out on traditional educational opportunities
This project is about enhancing equal access to lifelong learning, including practical routes to earning learning credits towards further qualifications.
Many of those completing the course could receive 20 credits towards further qualifications, such as a postgraduate diploma or certificate.
Most SMEs in Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham and Nottinghamshire are eligible for support.
This course has been designed specifically for women leaders and aspiring leaders in our SME community. We’ve taken the well-respected management and leadership element of our Executive MBA programme, integrated our vast experience on leadership in SMEs and incorporated latest thinking around Women in Leadership, creating a unique course tailored for you.
This course draws on insights from organisational behaviour, leadership studies, talent management and psychology, to provide a multi-disciplinary approach to understanding the behaviours, motivation and performance of individuals and teams in your organisation.
Purpose and aims
The purpose of the course is to develop an understanding of how to manage your own continuous professional development in order to be a more effective leader and to enable the achievement of career goals. You will access a range of learning activities designed to develop personal, professional and leadership capability.
The aims of the module are to:
- Create a supportive environment to focus on practical issues facing women in SMEs,
- explore gender differences in leadership tendencies, and how these impacts how women lead,
- develop an understanding of effective leadership and management strategies and styles that support employee engagement and performance, individually and in teams,
- understand management and leadership issues and trends in organisations,
- develop effective learning strategies in order to achieve your career objectives,
- develop the ability to use reflective practice to improve your performance and continuous development,
- understand how to identify ongoing development needs for continuous career management.
- How management and leadership delivers value in SMEs
- Women as leaders
- Developing your authentic leadership style
- Managing your career: learning strategies, goal-setting,
development planning and navigating derailers
- The importance of organisational culture
- Stakeholder management
- Navigating power and politics
- Engagement: issues and challenges for SMEs
- Leading for high performance
- Facilitating high performance teams and collaboration
- Communicating with impact and authenticity
Knowledge and understanding
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Critically evaluate the role of management and leadership in your organisation
- Understand the strategies and styles leaders can adopt to address key people issues within your organisation
- Demonstrate an understanding of organisational culture and how it helps or hinders leadership initiatives
- Critically evaluate your decisions, behaviours and actions, past and present, to enhance future personal, professional and leadership
- Gain new perspectives by learning how to reflect on your thinking and actions and apply new knowledge to ongoing career development
Skills, qualities and attributes
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Propose solutions to meet leadership and management challenges which enhance organisational performance
- Demonstrate an understanding of how you can develop your own leadership style in order to engage stakeholders
- Analyse a variety of relevant evidence to support decision-making about the management of people within your organisation
- Reflect on new experiences and contexts as part of the learning process in order to improve performance and develop your career
- Communicate effectively in a report format and present your written work to a professional standard
The course will be repeated over multiple cohorts until July 2020. Each course will consist of 3 days in a Nottingham city
location unless otherwise specified.
Following successful delivery in 2019, further dates have been scheduled throughout 2020.
Why focus on women in leadership?
Women play a huge role in business across Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, but they are often paid less than their male counterparts. They are also more likely to miss out on career development opportunities due to factors such as part-time working to juggle responsibilities like childcare or caring for relatives.
Our Priority Skills for D2N2 SMEs course provides SMEs with the opportunity to access free bespoke training and career coaching for women keen to progress into senior, management and leadership roles.
Support is available to employees of eligible SMEs throughout 2020.
You can view the event listings for the course here and send an enquiry to the Women In Leadership team at:
Nottingham Trent University is part of a consortium working together to deliver this ground-breaking project, which is funded by the European Social Fund (ESF). The consortium includes Nottingham Trent University, Derby College, Nottingham College, the University of Derby, and Nottingham City Council.
What are the rest of the consortium offering?
Nottingham Trent University is part of a consortium working together to deliver this ground-breaking programme, which is part-funded by the European Social Fund (ESF). The consortium includes Nottingham Trent University, Derby College, Nottingham College, the University of Derby, and Nottingham City Council.
- Derby College
Bespoke creation of courses depending on individual needs delivered through e-learning and face-to-face delivery, and bi-monthly employer academies to influence the curriculum
- Nottingham College
Bespoke courses tailored to your business need, including technical and job-specific vocational skills, employability provision, and development in English, Maths and ICT
- University of Derby
A suite of new, high-quality blended learning courses covering business, marketing, manufacturing, engineering and technology