During the ceremony
Wondering what actually happens in a Graduation ceremony? This will give you an idea of what to expect.
What happens during a ceremony
You must be in your seat at least 20 minutes before the start of the ceremony.
All graduands will be allocated a seat according to their surname and the award they are receiving. You must sit in the seat that has been allocated to you. Graduands are called to the stage in a particular order and the seating plan has been designed around this. Failure to sit in your allocated seat may result in your name not being called out during the ceremony.
Guests should enter University Hall where they will be directed to their seats by stewards. Guests are asked to be seated at least 20 minutes before the ceremony starts. Doors close 15 minutes prior to the ceremony start time.
The following is a sample itinerary of the ceremony proceedings, NTU staff will be there at all times to guide you.
- Stand when the procession music starts and the academic procession enters the hall and take their seats
- There will be a welcome speech made by a member of the University Executive Team
- Then it will be your time to shine. Please encourage your friends and family to cheer and do not forget to cheer for your fellow students as they graduate
- A member of NTU will signal when it is your time to leave your seat, check your name and guide you along the route that you will need to take, keeping you in the correct order. NTU robers will be on hand to adjust your hat and hood
- At the point that your name is read out, please cross the platform and pause for a photograph with the Vice-Chancellor (or his representative)
- You exit the platform
- Before you return to your seat, an NTU steward will present you with your certificate and direct you back to your seat
- At some ceremonies, an award will be made to an Honorary Graduate of the University or a member of staff may receive a Vice-Chancellors Award
- A graduate proposes a short vote of thanks
- At the closure of the ceremony, graduates will exit University Hall following the academic procession. Guests will follow
- Retire to the Newton Building for your post-Graduation refreshments served for approximately an hour.
The ceremony takes approximately forty-five minutes. Graduation caps should be worn on stage, and at the beginning and end of the ceremony. Guests can take photographs, but are asked to stay seated throughout the proceedings.