On the Day
Find information on where to go, when to be there and what to wear for your graduation day.
Find out what to expect from your graduation day including what time to arrive, where to go and what to wear.
How to get here
Graduation ceremonies are taking place on our City Campus at University Hall.
Ticket collection, gown collection and drop-off, photography, merchandise, live-streaming and post-ceremony refreshments will all be in the Newton and Arkwright buildings.
Please visit our travel information page for details about parking and other ways to travel to our City Campus.
When you arrive
Graduands are advised to be on City Campus one and a half hours before the ceremony start time. This will allow sufficient time for you to collect your tickets, gown and for photographs to be taken. Please remember there will be a lot of students doing the same as you, so do not leave it to the last minute so we can avoid queues forming. You will also be able to book photography slots after your ceremony.
Please ensure you are at University Hall before doors close, 15 minutes before the start of your ceremony. Unfortunately, late attendees cannot be admitted. We will try to accommodate you in a later ceremony on the same day where possible, but this is not guaranteed.
|Ceremony start time|| Ticket collection (Newton Gallery)|
Gown collection (Arkwright 006)
|Photography opening times||University Hall doors open||University Hall doors close|
|10.00 am||8.30 am - 9.40 am||8.30 am||9.20 am||9.45 am|
|11.45 am||10.15 am - 11.25 am||10.15 am||11.05 am||11.30 am|
|2.00 pm||12.30 pm - 1.40 pm||12.30 pm||1.20 pm||1.45 pm|
|3.45 pm||2.15 pm - 3.25 pm||2.15 pm||3.05 pm||3.30 pm|
|5.30 pm||4 pm - 5.10 pm||4 pm||4.50 pm||5.15 pm|
All graduands will be allocated a seat according to their surname and the award they are receiving. You must sit in the seat that has been allocated to you. Graduands are called to the stage in a particular order and the seating plan has been designed around this. Failure to sit in your allocated seat may result in your name not being called out during the ceremony.
Guests should enter the Ceremonial Hall where they will be directed to their seats by stewards. Guests are asked to be seated at least 20 minutes before the ceremony starts. Doors close 15 minutes prior to the ceremony start time.
During the ceremony
The following is an itinerary of the ceremony proceedings, NTU colleagues will be there at all times to guide you.
- Stand when the procession music starts and the academic procession enters the hall and take their seats
- There will be a welcome speech made by a member of the University Executive Team
- Then it will be your time to shine. Please encourage your friends and family to cheer and do not forget to cheer for your fellow students as they graduate
- A member of NTU will signal when it is your time to leave your seat, check your name and guide you along the route that you will need to take, keeping you in the correct order. NTU robers will be on hand to adjust your hat and hood
- At the point that your name is read out, please cross the platform and pause for a photograph with the Vice-Chancellor (or his representative)
- You exit the platform
- Before you return to your seat, an NTU steward will present you with your certificate and direct you back to your seat
- At some ceremonies, an award will be made to an Honorary Graduate of the University or a member of staff may receive a Vice-Chancellors Award
- A graduate proposes a short vote of thanks
- At the closure of the ceremony, graduates will exit University Hall following the academic procession. Guests will follow
- Retire to the Newton Building for your post-Graduation refreshments served for approximately an hour.
The ceremony takes approximately forty-five minutes. Graduation caps should be worn on stage, and at the beginning and end of the ceremony. Guests can take photographs, but are asked to stay seated throughout the proceedings.
Your graduation is a ceremonial event and formal dress is customary. All students must wear a gown, hood and hat with smart clothing underneath. We recommend that you bring hairgrips to secure your hat.
Gowns must be ordered from Ede & Ravenscroft before the deadline of Friday 16 June 2023, as Ede & Ravenscroft will not have additional gowns available on the day for graduands who have not pre-ordered.
Jeans, t-shirts, trainers and other casual attire are not considered appropriate for attendance at the ceremony and are not allowed.
Students are advised not to bring bags and to keep personal belongings to a minimum. Any belongings should be left with guests where possible.