About the course
This one-year level 3 course is designed for adults (19 years+) who want to study science-related disciplines at degree level but haven’t got the usual qualifications required. You will develop your academic writing skills, as well as your knowledge, understanding and experience in a range of scientific principles.
Course leader Bethany Iveson is available on Unibuddy to answer any questions you may have about our Access course.
Why choose Brackenhurst
Brackenhurst is set in stunning countryside just a bus ride away from Nottingham city centre. We are part of Nottingham Trent University. We offer college courses alongside our degree courses, all taught by our skilled, experienced and supportive staff.
At Brackenhurst, you’ll have access to incredible facilities. These include high tech Laboratories, Animal Unit, Farm, Equestrian Centre, Library and gardens and fields that are overflowing with plants and wildlife. Studying with us means that you’ll be a part of an amazing learning environment. You get all the perks of being part of a big university, but you will still enjoy the comforts of a friendly college.
Brackenhurst is easy to get to. We’re just 14 miles from Nottingham city centre, next to the town of Southwell. Find out more about getting here.
- You’ll develop your skills in referencing, note-taking, and be encouraged to contribute to group discussions. You will also develop your exam techniques and research skills.
- Biology focused units will cover topics such as Plant and Cell Biology; Physiological Processes and Body Systems; and Health, Disease and Immunity.
- Chemistry focused units will cover topics such as Core Chemistry; Inorganic Chemistry; and Formulae and Moles.
- Physics focused units will cover topics such as Energy, Waves, Forces and Mechanics.
How you’re taught
You’ll learn in our fantastic facilities and be taught by tutors who have experience of working within the industry. The course is a combination of theory and practical work. You will be taught through lectures, group discussions, practical demonstrations and laboratory sessions. You’ll also get to go on trips to industry and have contact with employers.
You’ll need to commit to 15 hours a week of contact time during the course. You’ll also be expected to invest a similar amount of time in your personal study. Teaching will take place three days a week.
How you’ll be assessed
You'll be assessed through written assignments, presentations, practical assessments, and exams.
Careers and employability
This course is specifically designed to allow you to progress into higher education.
You can progress on to many degree courses right here, such as Nottingham Trent University's BSc (Hons) Environmental Science, BSc (Hons) Pharmacology, BSc (Hons) Forensic Science, BSc (Hons) Chemistry, BSc (Hons) Physics, BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences and BSc (Hons) Paramedic Science.
You'll also have the opportunity to turn your ideas into a viable business with help from NTU Enterprise, NTU's purpose-built Centre for Entrepreneurship and Enterprise, a support centre to help students create, develop and grow their own businesses.
Campus and facilities
Study a science course at Brackenhurst Campus and you’ll have access to some fantastic facilities.
The campus has several fully equipped laboratories. This include a microbiology laboratory and a chemistry laboratory. You’ll use the labs for hands-on, practical lessons during your studies.
As well as your subject-specific facilities, you’ll also find:
- a library, including fully equipped computer rooms
- modern classrooms and teaching areas
- our careers and employability service
- a dining room and Costa Coffee
- our student shop
- a common room.
For 2021 entry you will need:
- GCSE maths and English language at grade 4 / C or above.
Equivalent qualifications will be considered.
You will also be required to attend an interview and undertake a written science assessment.
Applications are welcome from mature and international students.
Getting in touch
If you need any more help or information, please email our FE Team or call on +44 (0)115 848 5299.
Fees and funding
How to apply
Applying is really easy. Follow our step-by-step guide below.
Fill in an application form
- Download an application form. Remember to show your passion for your chosen subject in your personal statement.
- Provide contact details for two referees - usually one teacher from your current School or College and one character reference which could refer to any volunteering, work experience or hobbies you may have (i.e. Sea Scouts, sports clubs etc.). Alternatively, this can be a long standing family friend or neighbour.
Come for an interview
- If you meet the criteria for the course, we'll invite you for an interview. We'll send you details of what will happen on the day in advance via email. All interviews are held via Microsoft Teams and you may also need to provide a video of you working practically or complete a written task.
- Don't panic! Our administrative team will guide you through the process and our tutors are really friendly and will help you to do your best.
Get your offer
- We'll email and let you know how you got on at the interview. Hopefully we'll be able to offer you a place on the course. This offer might be conditional on your upcoming exam results — for example GCSEs, and to obtaining satisfactory references.
Accept your offer
- You need to tell us that you want to accept your offer. Please do so by emailing us or calling us on 0115 848 5299.
Get your exam results
- If you're taking GCSEs or other qualifications, you'll get your results over the summer. Once you've got your results you need to let us know what they are by calling 0115 848 5299. Then we can confirm your place.
Start at Brackenhurst
- We'll send out all the information you need to start with us by email. We hold an enrolment day in the first week of September, this allows you to get your student ID, start meeting your new friends and tutors, and get used to your new campus.
Just drop us a line – we’re here to help every step of the way. You can email us or give us a call on 0115 848 5299.