Introduction to BIM for the Construction Professional - funded course
- Level(s) of Study: Professional / Short course
Available at no cost to eligible individuals (see criteria below).*
- Start Date(s): 20 April 2023
- Duration: 20 April 2023 - 22 June 2023, Thursdays 5.30 pm - 8 pm for ten weeks
- Study Mode(s): Short course
- Campus: City Campus
Please note: This course is delivered through the Reskill & Recover project, which is part funded by the European Social Fund. Nottingham Trent University (NTU) is pleased to offer free (fully funded) places on this course to support employees of small and medium businesses that are based in Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire.
This course will introduce and develop the core principles of Building Information Modelling (BIM) as used in the planning, design, construction and operation phases of a project using the AutoDesk Revit platform.
It’s useful for anyone in the construction sector who’s looking to develop their overall knowledge and skills in BIM for construction projects.
What you’ll study
BIM is used for creating and managing project data through the design, construction, operation and de-commissioning process. It integrates data from multiple sources to create detailed digital representations that are managed in a cloud platform. This facilitates real-time collaboration between the various project partners which leads to improved decision making, better option management and potential cost savings.
This course will help you navigate the core components of the AutoCAD Revit platform. You’ll set up, develop and manage small-scale project files within a BIM environment.
Teaching and learning will take place using a flexible programme of workshops, demonstrations, seminar groups and tutorials. It will enable you to increase your level of project engagement and productivity. This course will be delivered via a combination of classroom sessions on the NTU City Campus and online sessions.
During this course you will:
- be introduced to Revit and how to set it up
- look at importing 2D CAD files into the application
- develop substructures and levels, superstructures and sections/elevations
- learn about clash detection
- set up drawing sheets, views and dimensions
- practise using annotations, tagging and schedules
- finalise drawings
- create plot files and print drawings to scale.
As a result of completing the course, you will be able to demonstrate:
- have a working knowledge and understanding of the AutoCAD Revit software package
- appreciate the basic concepts of BIM
- produced accurate 3D construction drawings using AutoCAD Revit to create a simple Building Information Model
- be able to communicate clearly in graphical format
- be able to demonstrate a range of transferable skills that be will valuable in the workplace.
What you’ll gain:
You will receive a CPD certificate upon successful completion of the course. Should the assessment be successfully completed, the course provides 5 NTU undergraduate-level credits.
20 April 2023 - 22 June 2023, Thursdays 5.30 pm - 8 pm for ten weeks
7 October 2023 - 4 November 2023, Saturdays 10 am - 4 pm for five weeks
To be eligible to apply for a place on this course you must be employed by a small or medium business (under 250 employees) in Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire.
No previous qualifications or experience is needed to access this course.
If you have any queries about this course, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If this course is of interest but you or your company do not meet the eligibility criteria for a funded place, please contact us to find out about dates for other occurrences.