MS Excel for the Construction Professional - funded course
- Level(s) of Study: Professional / Short course
Available at no cost to eligible individuals (see criteria below).*
- Start Date(s): 27 April 2023
- Duration: 27 April 2023, Thursdays 6 pm - 8.30 pm for ten weeks
- Study Mode(s): Short course
- Campus: City Campus
Please note: This course is delivered through the Reskill & Recover project, which is part funded by the European Social Fund. Nottingham Trent University (NTU) is pleased to offer free (fully funded) places on this course to support employees of small and medium businesses that are based in Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire.
The ability to quickly undertake repetitive computations and analyse multifaceted ‘what-if’ design scenarios is a fundamental skill in the fast-paced construction industry. It helps keep costs down and drives productivity.
This course will develop your software skills in Microsoft Excel to an advanced level, with a focus on its application to construction-related problem-solving.
What you’ll study
Teaching and learning will take place using a flexible programme of workshops, demonstrations, seminar groups and tutorials. It will enable you to increase your level of project engagement and productivity.
This course will be delivered via a combination of classroom sessions on the NTU City Campus and online sessions.
During this course you will:
- Get started with Microsoft Excel, including utilising the main commands in the control ribbon
- Work with data to use formatting and Excel functions
- Present your data effectively by using tables, graphs and charts
- Learn how to use formulas and apply them to problem-solving exercises
- Create pivot tables
- Be introduced to Macros
- Be presented with engineering problems to solve.
As a result of completing the course, you will be able to demonstrate:
- Appropriate use of IT resources to solve and model numerical, statistical and construction-related problems
- Analytical skills and present findings in MS Excel
- Your knowledge and understanding of the software
- Clear communication in written and graphical forms
- A range of transferable skills that will be valuable in the workplace
What you’ll gain:
You will receive a CPD certificate upon successful completion of the course.
Should the assessment be successfully completed, the course provides 5 NTU undergraduate-level credits.
Session 1: 27 April 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Session 2: 4 May 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Session 3: 11 May 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Session 4: 18 May 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Session 5: 25 May 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Session 6: 1 June 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Session 7: 8 June 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Session 8: 15 June 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Session 9: 22 June 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
Session 10: 29 June 2023, 6 pm - 8.30 pm
How you’re taught
This course is delivered by Serik Tokbolat.
Serik is a senior lecturer in construction management within the School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment (ADBE) at Nottingham Trent University. He gained his PhD from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
To be eligible to apply for a place on this course you must be employed by a small or medium business (under 250 employees) in Nottinghamshire or Derbyshire.
No previous qualifications or experience is needed to access this course.
If you have any queries about this course, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If this course is of interest but you or your company do not meet the eligibility criteria for a funded place, please contact us to find out about dates for other occurrences.