Our global reach
Want to know more about NTU’s global reach? Find out about the types of partnerships we have around the world.
Through our teaching, research, student and staff exchanges and collaborative work with businesses, we have built extensive links with partners around the world.
Exchanges are a major component of our international partnership work. Our key priority is to increase student and staff mobility, international student numbers, and to grow our internationally-leading and world-leading research in partnership with other major universities and organisations across the world.
Our growing international reputation stems from our work with our many partners who are chosen for their reputation for excellence. We work proactively to establish partnerships in important education markets around the world and are seeking to expand our network further.
Our partnerships take a variety of forms including student exchange, dual degrees, joint research and development, consultancy and training. Our expertise in a variety of subject areas and centres of research excellence allow us to offer our services to governments and companies, and to work collaboratively with other universities across the world.
We are incredibly proud of our work in this area, ensuring close to 25% of all NTU students have an overseas experience during their studies. We offer financial support for students from lower income backgrounds to enable them to take up these opportunities with a range of travel bursaries.
Creating global opportunities for our students
For students, our aim is to provide unforgettable and academically rigorous experiences that help to shape global citizens. We’ve created partnerships that allow students to take up exchange, or to seek shorter exposure to different cultures and education systems. A few examples include:
- Summer schools where our students can visit a variety of partners all over the world. Some of these are focused on particular subject areas, such as the Chinese Costume Summer School at Donghua University in Shanghai. Others are more general for students from almost any subject area, but with true cultural insight, such as our long established partnership with the University of Seoul in South Korea.
- Short term experiences overseas and field trips integrated into the curriculum, such as The Vice Chancellor’s Mandarin Scholarships, that provide students the opportunity to learn Chinese in China for a month each year. Many courses across NTU offer international visits, both mandatory and optional, such as the Fashion Management Marketing and Communication department’s annual visits to Tokyo.
- Cultural Visits: Sometimes, it is purely for experience, personal development and fun, such the School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment sending students to the Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival in China!
Creating global opportunities for our staff
For NTU staff, we seek to offer development opportunities in new and exciting education models and landscapes, to enhance research networks and to support students, both ours and those of our partners.
- Lending our expertise: NTU staff travel the globe to teach, offer staff development and create research links. We have established joint delivery partnerships, where our staff teach around a third of academic programmes, such as our decade-old relationship with Hong Kong Design Institute. Our staff also take part in international visits, where they share their expertise with local universities and institutions, such as the recent visit to teach creative writing in Japan.
- Academic partnerships: We are experts in creating study pathways that give graduates, both from NTU and our partners, a competitive advantage. We work on projects such as our Dual Degree in International Business to enable students to obtain two awards in a short space of time and the global experience that goes with it. We run distance delivery programmes with corporate partners such as BP, Ecco and Experian, from short-term development right through to full degrees.
- The NTU Global Strategic Partnership Fund allows our staff to develop their networks around the world and pursue research interests, with individual awards of up to £5,000 per project.
These are just some examples of why NTU is a truly global university. If you would like to have a conversation with us about working together on an interesting international project, please visit our partner with us page.