Global Summer School
Join Nottingham Trent University’s world-class summer school programme to experience the best of Nottingham and the UK! Our Global Summer School is a fantastic opportunity for you to study and live in the UK whilst making friends from across the world. There’s over 25 courses to choose from, available for 2 or 4 weeks, so you can create your perfect Summer School.
Our Global Summer School 2020 will take place from 6th - 31st July. Applications will open in December 2019.
Our Global Summer School programme is a great chance for you to:
- combine courses to develop your own programme of study
- earn credits you might be able to apply to your studies back home
- increase your knowledge in your subject, or learn something new
- be taught by expert, experienced teaching staff
- immerse yourself in England and UK culture and make friends with international students from around the world
- enjoy summer in one of the best student cities in the world
- experience studying at our University and explore opportunities for future academic studies
Our international summer school covers a wide range of subjects.
The courses are organised into blocks, so you can create a programme that suits you. Choose one course from any of the blocks, or combine two courses from blocks 1 and 2 to create a 4-week programme.
A typical 2-week course gives you 5 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits which you may be able to use towards your degree at home.
You'll receive an official NTU transcript and a Certificate of Completion after satisfactorily completing your course(s).
The courses are aimed at international and UK-based students who have completed at least one year of undergraduate studies.
Take a look at the 2019 courses in the drop down below:
View the full list of courses available
* This course is not credit bearing and is only available to students taking a Block 2 course
How to apply
Please contact our Global Summer School team if you have any questions or if you'd like to make a group booking.
Application form and step-by-step guide
The Global Summer School Coordinator will be in touch to confirm your place and send you instructions on how to pay for your course and accommodation (if required).
If you need a short study visa we will give you an invitation letter. Please read these guidance notes about how to apply for a short term study visa.
You’ll receive an email with the instructions on how to enrol when we've received your payment and confirmed your place on the course.
Complete your enrolment online.
Your timetable and instructions about where to go on the first day will be sent closer to the course start date.
Please contact us if you are making a booking on behalf of a group.
English language requirements
As a guide, you should be a moderate user of English. For most courses you should be equivalent to an IELTS 6.0 level.
Please check the full list of English language requirements for the global summer school.
The deadline for applications is 1 June 2019.
Please email us if you have missed this deadline.
Please note that in order to run each course has to recruit a minimum number of students. Courses which have not reached this number will be withdrawn.
Apply today and start planning your summer in Nottingham.
Our 2019 tuition fees started from £990 for a two-week course. See our full list of tuition fees.
Our 2020 tuition fees will be announced soon.
If you are interested in booking as a group of 10 or more, please contact us for more information and packages.
- Full social and evening events programme, supported by NTU student buddies
- At least one weekend visit to one UK city or other attraction (maximum of three trips available for those on the four-week programme)
- Our English Conversation Cafe
- An end of course ‘Summer School Showcase’ at which student work is exhibited to NTU students, staff and summer school students
- Access to NTU’s Global Lounges and services, including a free international lunch and week-day refreshments
- An Employability / Alumni session
- A GSS T-shirt
- Certificate of completion and a transcript of results
- Early-bird discount available for applicants who pay by 31st March 2019
- Current student discount available for current students who refer a friend who is not currently studying at NTU. They'll get a £50 tuition fee discount and we’ll give you £50 to spend*
- Alumni discount available for alumni who refer a friend who is currently not studying at NTU. Your friend will receive a 10% tuition fee discount*
- 10% discount for current students joining the Summer School
* You can only refer friends who are not currently students at Nottingham Trent University.Your friends will need to give your name and NTU student number or email when they apply for the Summer School. If you refer more than one friend you will receive a £50 payment for each person referred.
If you wish to withdraw from your course/s please advise us by email as soon as possible. Requests for a refund will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The following fees and conditions will be applicable:
- If you cancel before 1st April = 90% refund of course and accommodation fee
- If you cancel between 1st April and 1st June, you will receive a 50% refund of course and accommodation fee*
- If you cancel after 1st June – no refund of course or accommodation fee*
*The following exceptional circumstances will be considered, on a case by case basis, for a full refund – supporting evidence will be requested:
- Extenuating personal circumstances (for example, illness which prevents you from travelling, bereavement etc.)
- Visa application refusal – however, refunds will not be considered if visas have been applied for too late or are the wrong type.
You'll be living in Nottingham city centre, on our City Campus with easy transport links to Clifton Campus (if your course is based there).
You'll be within walking distance of the main bus and train stations in Nottingham, so you can easily explore the surrounding areas.
You'll have a single room with an en-suite bathroom and share the living and kitchen areas.
When you arrive there'll be a pack of bedding and kitchen equipment (pots, pans, utensils) waiting for you.
The cost per week for 2019 is £175.
Our international summer school includes a very busy social programme, such as:
- Welcome and induction sessions
- Social evening activities such as bowling and rhythmic drumming
- Nottingham walking tour with the world-renowned Robin Hood!
- Visits to English cities such as York, Cambridge and Liverpool
- English Language Conversation Cafés
- End of course farewell party
You'll also have some free time to relax and explore Nottingham city centre attractions.
We want all our international students and UK-based students to have a great experience, so you'll be supported by our friendly student buddies who'll get in touch with you before you arrive.
They'll welcome you at your induction, take on you on a campus tour, show you best places in Nottingham to shop, eat, drink and visit and accompany you on all social activities. They may even be studying with you in your classes.
Nottingham is a small but charming city in the middle of England. It is very easy to get around and find good places to eat or shop. It also has a lot of pubs and nightclubs to go out at night. Overall, I really enjoyed spending these few weeks in the city.
Patricia Andrade Lopes – English Legal Culture and Legal Skills
Wonderful. Full of surprises. Nice classrooms and friendly environment, staff and student buddies.
Find out more
If you're interested in joining our Global Summer School and would like to find out more, we've put together the some Frequently Asked Questions. However, if you can't find the answer to your question then please email us.
Follow the summer school community
Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date on our programme of events for Summer 2019...