Photography, Alchemy and the Artists' Book
On this course you will create innovative images that combine digital technology with primitive photographic processes.
This practical course combines digital photography, darkroom processes and the self-published artists’ book.
You will begin by refreshing your knowledge of digital photography as well as improving your awareness of contemporary photography at a local, national and international level. You will learn simple and effective darkroom techniques that are used by today's artists and designers. These techniques will enable you to engage with the past and identify with the history of photography and its early pioneers.
During the course you will also:
- learn about alternative photographic processes
- draw on established ideas and principles to develop a personal approach to photography and define your own project
- create innovative images that combine digital technology with primitive photographic processes.
- In your second week you will apply this knowledge to exploring craft-based presentation skills, namely the artists’ book:
- learn how to select handmade books
- learn the basic techniques of Adobe InDesign to produce effective layouts
- print your work using digital printing methods and learn about the print process
- choose the appropriate binding method for your publication
- hear how artists are using these techniques today
- learn how different methods can be adopted for different audiences
- choose the appropriate method to complete an innovative piece of artwork.
You should have completed at least one year of undergraduate studies and are competent when using a digital SLR camera in manual mode. You should also have the required English language skills.
By the end of the course you will have put on a mini exhibition of your darkroom prints and created a contemporary hand-crafted book!
Location: City Campus
Starting: 8 July 2019 and 22 July 2019
Course Duration: Two weeks
Credits: 10 UK / 5 ECTS
Early bird discount applies to students who pay their tuition fee before 31st March 2019:
Early bird discount fee
If you are interested in booking as a group of 10 or more, please contact us for more information and package prices.
Application deadline 1st June 2019
- Full social and evening events programme, supported by NTU student buddies
- At least one weekend visit to one UK city or other attraction (maximum of three trips available for those on the four-week programme)
- NEW for 2019 - English Conversation Cafe
- NEW for 2019 - An end of course ‘Summer School Showcase’ at which student work is exhibited to NTU students, staff and summer school students
- Access to NTU’s Global Lounges and services, including a free international lunch and week-day refreshments
- An Employability / Alumni session
- A GSS T-shirt
- Certificate of completion and a transcript of results
How to Book
Please download and complete the application form, and email it to the Global Summer School team:
Follow the Summer School Community
Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date on our programme of events for Summer 2019...