At NTU, you’ll be joining a community of staff and students from over 160 countries. There are lots of international opportunities in our Global Lounges and virtually to enhance your university experience and your employability.
Your Global Student Experience
At NTU we have a dedicated team who runs the Global Lounges and organises international opportunities on campus, as well as a team who looks after the short and long-term study abroad opportunities. The Global Lounges are hubs for international opportunities open to all NTU, NTIC, Confetti students and colleagues. These dedicated spaces are based on campus and virtually to provide opportunities to internationalise your CV and broaden your horizons.
Take a look below at our events and opportunities and how you can get involved.
The Global Lounges are open to all NTU, NTIC and Confetti students and staff. These dedicated spaces are based on campus and virtually to provide opportunities to internationalise your CV and broaden your horizons.
By visiting the Global Lounges you can expect to:
- Relax and make friends from around the world
- Celebrate and take part in student-focused cultural events
- Develop your confidence through volunteering or part-time work
- Find out about international study abroad and placement opportunities
You can even organise your own event or activity at the Global Lounges – just pop in and chat with one of the friendly team or email us with your idea on firstname.lastname@example.org.
NTU students love the lounges and Kane, who studied MSc Management and Innovation & Enterprise at NTU, describes the Global Lounges as “Friendly, Providing opportunities and Intercultural".
Events hosted at our Global Lounges and on our Virtual Global Lounge include cultural celebrations, a book club, games afternoons, opportunities to learn new languages, and many more. You can take a look at our events on our Instagram (@NTUGlobalLounge). Some of our weekly events during term time include:
Global Community Lunch
- Tuesdays 12 pm – 2 pm at Clifton Global Lounge
- Thursdays 12 pm – 2 pm at City Global Lounge
- Tuesdays 5 pm – 7 pm at City Global Lounge
- Thursdays 3 pm – 5 pm at Clifton Global Lounge
Our friendly team is here to help you with any questions, please contact NTUGlobalLounge@ntu.ac.uk. We look forward to seeing you in-person or virtually!
Where to find us and opening times:
23 Goldsmith Street, Nottingham, NG1 5JT.
- Monday to Thursday, 9 am – 7 pm; Friday 9 am – 5 pm (term time)
- Monday to Friday, 9 am – 5 pm (out of term time)
Mary Ann Evans 019, Clifton Campus, Nottingham , NG11 8NS.
- Monday to Friday 9 am – 5 pm (term time)
- Monday to Friday 10 am – 4 pm (out of term time)
If you have any specific queries please email us on NTUGlobalLounge@ntu.ac.uk.
Virtual Global Lounge
Join the Virtual Global Lounge on MS Teams to take part in global opportunities throughout the year to connect with peers from around the world.
To join the VGL you'll need to log in with your NTU username and password. Please note your name, student number, and student/staff email, and course as well as your activities within the VGL will be visible to other members of the MS Team, which includes NTU, NTIC and Confetti students and colleagues.
Global Week is a week-long festival celebrating and showcasing Nottingham Trent University’s international community on campus.
Throughout the week, the staff and students of NTU, Confetti, and Nottingham Trent International College (NTIC), alongside community partners from Nottingham and beyond hold a series of stalls and events across our campuses.
This annual event is organised to celebrate the vast array of cultures at the university, which is home to approximately 5,200 EU and international students from around 160 different countries.
"As part of Global Week, I delivered my own stand to represent my Lebanese cultural heritage, not once but three years in a row! I've made many friends and contacts, developed my confidence and communication as well as developing my global mindset and becoming even more culturally aware." - NTU Photography student, Rasha Kotaiche.
Through art, dancing, sport, and food, Global Week connects and celebrates the array of cultural heritages in the NTU community. It’s a chance for our staff and students to extend their international perspectives and enjoy global experiences right here on campus.
Global Week also highlights serious global issues such as sustainability, biodiversity, human rights, and global poverty. In 2020, NTU Global made a pledge to reduce waste by no longer offering plastic giveaways during Global Week, but instead to concentrate on increasing biodiversity in Nottingham, by working closely with the NTU Sustainable Development Team to purchase several campus-based beehives.
Language Practice Opportunities
Do you want to practise a language you speak or learn some basics of a new language? Then Language Cafe is for you!
Practise speaking different languages in a friendly and relaxed environment with other students and our student volunteers. Whether it is Spanish, French, Italian, German, Japanese, Mandarin, Arabic, English, or any other language, you'll have the chance to improve, teach, and show off your skills!
"I really enjoyed the weekly language café. A free, safe, and inclusive space to speak with people of different cultures is the perfect way to practise or learn any language." - Ruqaya Malik, Legal Practice Course LLM student at NTU.
How does it work?
Based on the languages we can offer, we will create different language tables you can join to practise with others interested in the same language. There will usually be a volunteer (in most cases this will be one of our student Global Lounge Ambassadors), who is a native, fluent, or advanced speaker of that language at the table to help lead the conversations and activities. You can join for half an hour, or the full two hours; once, or every week and you're welcome to switch between language tables - whatever suits your interests and your schedule.
Who is it for?
All languages and levels of ability are welcome, and there will also be an English table. If there are no other speakers of the language you're interested in you can always join another language and we'll try to find speakers of that language for your next visit.
Are you a native, fluent, or advanced speaker of another language?
You could become a Language Cafe Volunteer to help lead the language tables - all you need to do is sign up when you come to the Global Lounge. We'll talk you through what the role entails and once you've completed 20 hours we'll give you a certificate which will be recorded on your HEAR report if you're an undergraduate student, and you can use it for the Global Employability Award!
Language Cafe will normally take place:
- every Tuesday from 5 pm - 7 pm at City Global Lounge during term time
- every Thursday from 3 pm - 5 pm at Clifton Global Lounge during term time
- online once a month with some of our partner institutions abroad (TBC).
Language in Tandem
If you would like to practise a language one on one, then we can find you a language exchange partner. We'll pair you up with a native speaker of the language you want to learn. For example, if your first language is English and you want to learn Spanish, we'll find a fluent Spanish speaker wanting to improve their English.
You'll arrange to meet for an hour or more every week (this can also be online), and each of you will benefit from at least 30 minutes of language practice.
Studying abroad is a fantastic opportunity to enrich your degree by experiencing other cultures and developing skills to add to your CV.
With short and long-term options available through our global network of over 300 partner institutions — and across all of our Schools and subjects — we'll support you in developing personally, professionally and academically.
NTU students can choose from many different travel destinations and it’s easy to apply for scholarships to help with the cost of travelling. Here is what our students have to say about travelling abroad:
- “I’ve developed new skills, made new friends, learnt about other cultures and feel more confident as a result of the trip.” – Fenniecia Smith, studying Accounting and Finance travelled to Europe.
- “It was a very grounding and eye-opening experience that everyone should experience.It made me more confident and less stressed.” - Weronika Zaspa, studying Fine Art travelled to Malaysia.
Global Employability Award
As an NTU student, you’ll have the chance to enhance your CV by taking part in the Global Employability Award.
This is an exciting award delivered by the Employability team in collaboration with NTU Global to support students in becoming global graduates through meaningful experiences, such as volunteering for our Language Café, organising a cultural event, representing a culture or a global issue at our annual Global Week celebration, becoming a Global Lounge Assistant, taking part in challenges and much more.
The award is open to all students but may appeal to those who are interested in working internationally or improving their international profile, or who want to work with people from diverse communities within the UK.
What are the benefits of the Global Employability Award?
- Develops your global appeal by highlighting your international related skills and experience.
- Helps you stand apart from others – giving you a unique selling point on your CV.
- Rewards and recognises the extra you have done outside of your course through a formal certificate and contributes to your HEAR.
“Participating in the award has been extremely rewarding. To my surprise, the online activities were selected to be specific to the job role whilst giving me essential life skills. The courses have given me a new outlook on working across cultural boundaries.”- Ruqaya Mailk who studied Legal Practice Course LLM at NTU.
If you are interested in taking part in this Award, you can register now and start gaining your extracurricular international experience and when the Award commences you can simply add your points to your record.
If you have any queries, please contact the team at Employabilityawards@ntu.ac.uk.
Working and Volunteering
Develop your confidence, make new friends and gain skills and experience to add to your CV by joining our global community.
The Global Student Opportunities Team has many opportunities that you can take part in including:
- Global Lounge Assistant – paid, part-time role to work in the City or Clifton Global Lounge, and on the Virtual Global Lounge. These opportunities are promoted on Unitemps and Futurehub usually in the spring.
- Global Week volunteer – represent your culture or a global issue you care about during the annual Global Week celebration. Keep an eye out on our social media or emails to find out when you can sign up.
- Cultural Ambassador – organise a cultural event or an event or activity around a global issue you care about online or in the Global Lounge.
- Language Café Volunteer – help other students learn and practise languages in an informal setting. We ask you to do at least 20 hours throughout the academic year.
- Global Summer School Volunteer – Welcome and support international students who are doing a Global Summer School programme at NTU. You’ll also be able to attend a course for free. Visit our Global Summer Schools section for more information on this exciting scheme, and to find out how you can get involved.
- Student Exchange Buddies – for students that have travelled as part of an exchange or work placement who would like to give advice and guidance to other students that are preparing to do the same thing as well as to support visiting international exchange students at NTU. This opportunity is usually advertised in the spring, so keep an eye on your email and our social media to find out more.
These opportunities also count towards your Global Employability Award, HEAR (if you’re an undergraduate student), or you can use them towards your continuing professional development (CPD). They’re all great ways to internationalise your profile during your time at NTU.
"Most importantly, I have developed an open-mindset and can tailor information to people of varying backgrounds and abilities, which will help me in any career I wish to pursue". - Ruqaya Malik, Legal Practice Course LLM student at NTU
If you’re interested in working or volunteering with NTU Global please email: email@example.com.