The university provides Office 365 for students and staff to use for all their communication needs. Office 365 is web-based which means all services can be accessed from wherever you are located. This includes access to Outlook and Calendar as well as the full suite of Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.).
Improving digital skills for NTU students
NTU has teamed up with Microsoft to pilot an online digital skills programme helping students become the complete professional package.
Focusing on digital skills the new programme will tailor students’ skills acquisition, networking and voluntary work towards achieving their career goals.
It provides access to an extensive array of digital resources any time and for free – from improving digital skills for applications such as MS Teams, to specialised technical courses to support students’ degrees.
The platform is accessed via the MS Teams Apps appearing in the left hand navigation and uses artificial intelligence (AI) and predictive analytics to enable students to:
- Understand the skills they have and those needed for their desired first job and career by analysing CVs and other uploaded documents
- Access online, anytime and for free, a range of skills in online productivity such as Microsoft 365 and a range of employability skills such as Leadership, Management and Project Management.
- Align academic and extracurricular choices with chosen career goals and give students industry relevant technical certifications along with their degrees. The platform has over 1,700 courses, modules, labs, hands on exercises and activities. If students complete a course, it automatically populates their LinkedIn profile. A full list of courses is available via Microsoft's build tech skills for the future webpages.
- Explore job roles and get job market insights thanks to the seamless access which is provided to LinkedIn due to its ownership by Microsoft and NTU Library’s dedicated contract – LinkedIn Learn.
- Connect and learn from NTU alumni and local mentors about jobs, skills, and career paths held by our alumni using the LinkedIn platform to support their career goals via the platform.
The digital skills programme is available from students’ first year through to graduation helping students gain the skills, insights and networks needed for success and is part of NTU’s strategy to become the most digitally sophisticated university by 2025.
The university provides Office 365 for students and staff to use for all their communication needs. Office 365 is web-based which means all services can be accessed from wherever you are located. This includes access to Outlook and Calendar as well as the full suite of Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
Word is part of Office 365 and it is widely used across all courses at NTU.
The first two resources here will help you get started.
If you are familiar with Word, the tips videos will help develop your knowledge.
The final resource is a guide to creating long documents, such as dissertations.
If you are new to Excel or just want to quickly brush up on your Excel skills then the first two resources are for you.
However, if you are already familiar with Excel but want to look more in depth at Formulae, Functions, Charts and Pivot tables then check out the Improve Your MicroSoft Excel Skills learning path.
The final resource is great to dip in and out of to find insights into useful Excel functions and commands delivered through short demos!
PowerPoint is the presentation tool available through Office 365. If you are new to PowerPoint, start with the first two resources.
Outlook e-mail will be one of the primary ways the university contacts you, and its built in calendar is a greta way to keep track of your timetable.
Whether you just want a quick refresher on its funtions, or an indepth exploration of Outlooks many features, these guides can give you the information you need.
OneDrive is a cloud-based file storage space, where you can save your files and work collaboratively with others.
This will keeo your work safe from IT mishaps, and allow you to access it whenever and whereever you need