Our choir is the largest vocal ensemble at the University, consisting of more than 150 singers. Whether you're experienced or just interested in trying out, we'd love to hear from you.
What can I expect?
Our choir are a welcoming bunch. Led by our Director of Music, Matthew Hopkins, we'll help you get to grips with our repertoire in a friendly environment, and there'll be time for fun during rehearsals.
We welcome singers of all abilities, and there's no need to audition. Join us one evening a week during term time, to be part of something special.
The choir is split into four different voice parts; soprano (highest voice), alto, tenor, and bass (lowest voice). Don't worry if you're not sure which type of voice you have – we'll help you work this out when you join.
We sing a varied range of songs from Christmas carols to tunes from musicals and films, epic choral works and contemporary pop.
How do I join?
Who can join?
Our choir welcomes NTU students, staff and members of the local community.
Is there an audition?
There is no audition to join the choir.
What experience do I need?
You don't need to have any previous singing experience, and you don't need to be able read music.
Can I try the choir out before joining?
Yes! If you'd like to come along to a rehearsal to see what it's like before joining, email email@example.com to arrange your visit.
I'm ready to join – how do I sign up and how much does it cost?
You can purchase your membership through the NTU Online Store.
Membership for the academic year costs:
- £20 for NTU Students
- £40 for NTU staff and NTU alumni
- £80 for community members
If you join the choir after Christmas, the cost is discounted by a third.
What's included in my membership?
Your membership includes rehearsals and performances. There is sometimes an additional small deposit for sheet music that we hire, but this is returned when you hand the music back in.
You will need to supply your own concert uniform, which consists of a smart black shirt and trousers, with black shoes.
Rehearsals take place on Tuesdays (term time only) between 6.15 pm and 8.30 pm in University Hall on City Campus.
For more information about rehearsals email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0115 848 4570.
Over the last few years, we've appeared in NTU performances such as the Family Christmas Concert, the Christmas Spectacular and the Summer Celebration.
We've also performed at events around the UK, including:
- April 2019: Symphonic Queen and The Beatles with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
- April 2018: Verdi Requiem with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and guest soloists Dame Sarah Connolly, Elizabeth Llewellyn, Gwyn Hughes Jones and Wojtek Gierlach.
- April 2017: A Night on Broadway with the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra and West End star Kerry Ellis
- April 2016: The Dream of Gerontius by Edward Elgar with The Philharmonia Orchestra and guest soloists Toby Spence, David Soar and Rebecca Afonwy Jones
- November 2015: The Star Wars Saga with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
- March 2015: The Peacemakers by Karl Jenkins with Cantamus Girls Choir and The Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra
- March 2014: A Night at the West End with the London Philharmonic Orchestra and West End star Kerry Ellis
- April 2013: Last Night of the Proms with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra