The main research area of this group is wireless and mobile communication networks domain. Simulation of large scale wireless networks is of great importance to the group since the application use case scenario used in the group is building a new generation of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS). Members of the group also specialise in Mobile Phone Programming, Security in Mobile World, and much more.
- Ad-hoc wireless networks - Novel Message Delivery Protocols - Most members of the group design and implement simulation models and test new message delivery paradigms based on s broadcasting method for message delivery in ad-hoc networks. The advantage of such novel algorithms is that they work in an infrastructure-less environment. The simulation models are built typically in an NS2 and NS3 (Network Simulator two and three) environment which is a simulation of a wireless network program and which has proved its worth amongst the scientific community in this field.
- Mathematical traffic flow modelling - Building mathematical models of the traffic is essential in building the next generation of ITS. The emphasis of this research is on route finding algorithms and on algorithms enabling seamless fusion of real time data into the traffic simulation models. Several traffic simulation models have been built within the group and the fusion of real-time data is based on using SUMO – a microscopic simulation model developed in Germany.
- Mobile Phone Applications Development - Several Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTP) projects have been established over the years by members of the group with a significant amount of funding attracted from the Technology Strategy Board (TSB). There are three currently active KTP projects and another collaboration with an external company to develop Neighbourhood Watch smartphone application.
- Security in Mobile Networks - Members of the group have also shown strong research interest in the security and privacy issues of using wireless and mobile communications with the mobile devices using their GPS (location information) feature.
- EU FP7 funding
- Innovate UK
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Nottingham City Council
- East Midlands Development Agency (EMDA)
Selected publications from this group are listed below. For full list of publications please use Institutional Repository (IRep).
Li Y., Papanastasiou S., Akhlaghinia J., Peytchev E. , "TMDA: A Broadcast-Based Message Delivery Algorithm for VANETs" International Journal On Advances in Telecommunications, volume 6, numbers 1 and 2, 2013, pp. 34-44, ISSN: 1942-2601
Risan Ø., Peytchev E., "A Vehicle-To-Vehicle Communication Protocol For Collaborative Identification Of Urban Traffic Conditions", Springer Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, pp 482-494, DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-17994-5_33, Print ISBN 978-3-642-17993-8, Online ISBN 978-3-642-17994-5, 2010.
Agafonov E.; Bargiela, A.; Burke E.; Peytchev, E. "Mathematical justification of a heuristic for statistical correlation of real-life time series", published in European "Journal of Operational Research", 2009, ISSN: 0377-2217, doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2008.06.040
Invited Paper - Peytchev, E. , Kucukdurgut, I., "Modular Traffic Information Generation in Vehicular Ad Hoc Network", "Journal of the Technical University Sofia, branch Plovdiv, "Fundamental Sciences and Applications", Vol. 14, 2009, PP 327-334, International Conference Engineering, Technologies and Systems, TechSys '2009, BULGARIA, ISSN 1310-8271
Bargiela, A.; Kosonen, I.; Pursula, M.; Peytchev, E. "Granular Analysis of Traffic Data for Turning Movements Estimation", International Journal of Enterprise Information Systems, Vol. 2, Issue 2, 2006
Bilchev G.; Marston D.; Hristov N.; Peytchev E.; Wall N.; "Traffimatics - intelligent co-operative vehicle highway systems", Volume 22, issue 3, PP 73-83, July 2004, IDS Number: 856EB, ISSN: 1358-3948, DOI:10.1023/B:BTTJ.0000047122.78621.6f
Thomas, M.; Peytchev E.; Al-Dabass D.; "Auto-sensing and distribution of traffic information in vehicular ad hoc networks", International Journal of Simulation, January 2004, PP 59-63, Volume: 5(3), ISSN: 1473-804X
Peytchev E., Coggan, J., "See Before You Go", Traffic Technology International, Dec./January Issue –2000 pp.69-72.
P. Valsecchi, C. Claramunt, E. Peytchev "OSIRIS: an inter-operable system for the integration of real-time traffic data within GIS", Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, Volume 23, Issue 4, 1 July 1999, Pages 245-25
E. Peytchev, G. Spasov, V. Spasova, "Internet-Based Information Flow In Mobile Systems And Their Application In Traffic Monitoring Ad Hoc Networks ", IEEE 52 International Symposium ELMAR-2010, Vol 1, pp 265-268, 15-17 September 2010, Zadar Croatia
Risan, E. Peytchev, "A Vehicle-To-Vehicle Communication Protocol For Collaborative Identification Of Urban Traffic Conditions", 2nd International ICST Conference on Ad Hoc Networks, August 18-20, 2010, Sept. 2009, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Y. Li, E. Peytchev, "Novel Ad-Hoc Wireless Mobile Communication Network Routing Model For Location Based Sensor Networks ", 7th International Symposium on Location Based Services and Telecartography, pp 383-396, Sept. 2009, Guangzhou, China
Kucukdurgut, I., Peytchev, E. , "Modelling Granule Dependent Information in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks", Proceedings of ECMS 2009 23rd European Conference on Modelling and Simulation, Proceedings of ECMS 2009. PP 115-121, June 9th - 12th, 2009. Madrid, Spain, ISBN 0-9553018-8-2
Selected other conference publications
Agafonov, E., Bargiela, A., Tanaka, M., Peytchev, E., "Probabilistic Travel Time Estimation", 38th ISCIE International Symposium on Stochastic Systems Theory and Its Applications, Suwa, Japan, Oct. 2006. pp. 1-6
Tanaka M., Peytchev E., "Dynamic Model of the View From a Moving Car", Proc. 37th International Symposium on "Stochastic Systems Theory and Its Applications", pp. 42-47, Oct. 28-29, 2005, ISBN4-915740-22-0).
(RAE2008) M. Khalil, E. Peytchev, D. Al-Dabass, "A Computing Environment for Urban Traffic Systems", IEEE 7th Int. Conference on Advanced Communication Technology, Phoenix Park, Korea, 21-23 February 2005, 5D-01, ISBN 89-5519-124-3.
T. Osman, M. Serra, O. Delode, E. Peytchev, and T. Huet : "An Integrative Framework for Traffic Telematics Web Services", Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing and Networks (PDCN 2005), Feb. 2005, pp 456-181
N. Wall, G. Bilchev, E. Peytchev, N. Hristov, "Traffimatics - An open telematics platform for vehicle-to-vehicle and infrastructure communications", 11th ITS World Congress, Nagoya, Japan 18 – 22 Oct 2004, Paper Number 2188.
M. Thomas, E. Peytchev, D. Al-Dabass, "Auto-Sensing And Distribution Of Traffic Information In Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks", UKSIM 2004, Conf. Proceedings of the UK Simulation Society, St. Katherine’s College, Oxford, 29-31 March 2004, pp124-128, ISBN: 1-84233-099-3.
Shi Zhi, T. Osman, E. Peytchev, D. Al-Dabass, "A Review of Communication and Java Technologies in the ATTAIN project", 2004 IEEE Int. Conference On Networking, Sensing and Control, March 21-23, Taipei, Taiwan, pp1400-1405, ISBN 0-7803-8193-9.
N. Wall, G. Bilchev, E. Peytchev, N. Hristov, "Traffimatics - An open telematics platform for vehicle-to-vehicle and infrastructure communications", 10th ITS World Congress, Madrid 16 – 20 Nov 2003, Paper Number 2615.
Khalil M., Peytchev E. "Traffic Telematics Computing Framework Based On Non-Locking And Housekeeping Distributed Shared Memory Algorithm", UKSIM2003, Emanuel College, Cambridge, p. 201-206, April 2003.
Khalil M., Peytchev E., "An Approach For Improving The Performance Of Software Distributed Shared Memory Systems", PREP2003, Exeter, p. 135-136, April 2003.
Khalil M., Peytchev E. "Dime-II: A Computing Framework For Traffic Systems", ESM2003, Nottingham, p. 595-600, June 2003.
- EPSRC project "Integration of heterogeneous traffic and travel information through a combined Internet and mobile communications" – Principal Investigator Prof. A. Bargiela GR/R32468/01 - £62,000 - 01 January 2004 - 31 Decemebr 2005.
- Traffimatics project, Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), The overall cost of the project is £1,080,000 of which £145,000 for NTU, 01 March 2003 to 30 Sept 2005
- Public Transport Bus Cam control, East Midlands Development Agency, Overall cost of the project £10,000, 01 September 2006 - 30 August 2007
- Public Transport Bus Internet Access, East Midlands Development Agency
Overall cost of the project £10,000, 01 December 2006 - 30 November 2007
- NHS hospital journey planner based on Bluetooth, East Midlands Development Agency
Overall cost of the project £10,000, 01 December 2006 - 30 November 2007
- MODUM project, EU FP7
Overall cost of the grant - 2,350,000 Euro, grant for NTU £403,000, 01 October 2011 - 30 September 2014