International Conference on Vertical Farming
Taking place on 7 - 8 April 2020, Nottingham Trent University are delighted to host this international conference exploring the developments in Smart Green Growth for sustainable agriculture and global food security.
Vertical farming is a new hope for global food security. The International Conference on Vertical Farming 2020 will focus on the next steps for future agriculture and aims to create a revolutionary vision for “Smart Green Growth”. It will bring together scientists, engineers, industrialists, investors and policymakers to tackle the challenges through research & technology solutions and hear from successful commercial adoption.
Themes and Scope
World agriculture is undergoing a transition to new technological paradigms. The increasing world population, the global trend to urbanisation, climate change, pressure on natural resources and Brexit are key drivers for policies on global food security. There is an urgent need to identify and develop innovative methods for sustainable food production. Vertical farming is a promising way that could offer sustainable and innovative solutions for improving food security.
The conference will cover the three essential approaches to:
- SMART - Automation, Robotics, and how Big Data & AI can increase efficiencies.
- GREEN - How research across Plant Science, LED lighting, urban greening, pharmaceutical crops and food quality can help future growing systems.
- GROWTH - How Vertical Farming markets and supply could grow into commercial profitable ventures and the positive impact it could deliver for our health and our economies.
Those wishing to deliver an oral presentation should prepare an abstract to a maximum of 300 words.
Deadline for abstract submissions is:
Acceptance notifications will be confirmed by:
Abstracts will be selected for oral presentation or poster displays.
Authors will be asked to produce their own posters using the poster format guide.
Notable speakers include:
- Dickson Despommier - Emeritus Professor of Microbiology and Public Health, Columbia University, USA
- Christine Zimmerman-Lössl - Chair, Association for Vertical Farming EU
- Simon Pearson - Professor of Agri-Food Technology Research, University of Lincoln, UK
- Ian Cox - Innovation Lead, Agri-Tech Centres, Innovate UK
- Leo Marcelis - Professor, Wangningen University, Netherlands
- Qichang Yang - Professor, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China
- Jung Eek Son - Professor, Department of Plant Science, Seoul National University, South Korea
- Hong Liu – Professor, School Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Beihang University, Beijing, China
The two-day conference programme will include talks, panel discussions, interactive workshops and a gala dinner option.
- Chungui Lu, Conference Chair, Nottingham Trent University
- Robert Mortimer, Dean, School of Animal, Rural and Environmental Sciences, Nottingham Trent University
- Ejaz Qureshi, Research Office, Nottingham Trent University
- Fiona Smith, Research Office, Nottingham Trent University
- Karen Thipthorp, Administration Support, Nottingham Trent University
- Miriam Marsden, Internal Events Team, Nottingham Trent University
- Chloe Bruce, Conference Centre, Nottingham Trent University
- Claire Smart, Marketing, Nottingham Trent University
- Bev Armstrong, Marketing, Nottingham Trent University
Reserve your place
Registration is now open. Reserve your place now via the NTU Online Store.
The registration fee covers the cost of conference attendance on both days including lunch and refreshments.
The gala dinner on 7 April is available to book as an additional option.
|Early bird rate|
(14 October - 31 December)
|1 January - 31 March|
|Full delegate rate||£420||£540|
|Student delegate rate||£210||£270|
|Gala Dinner - Tuesday 7 April||£45||£45|
Sponsoring the International Conference on Vertical Farming Conference 2020 will enable you to highlight your company or organisation, drive brand identity and build key relationships.
An exciting range of sponsorship packages have been developed to ensure a successful outcome for sponsors.
- A 3m x 4m x 2.9m wide exhibitor space and a shared soft seating area to use when talking to delegates in front of stands. Location: Level 1 Newton Forum and an additional stand on Level 0 outside Newton Lecture Theatre 2 (area: 2m x 3m – please note that there is no height restriction here so there is the opportunity for a big display)
- A speaker slot featured in the conference programme
- Four full complimentary conference passes (including the speaker)
- Four gala dinner passes
- The opportunity to present an award during the gala dinner
- Your company logo on our website events page, the conference programme and TV screens displayed outside the main conference rooms.
- A 3m x 2m x 2.9m wide exhibitor space and a shared soft seating area to use when talking to delegates in front of stands. Location: Level 1 Newton Forum
- Two full complimentary conference passes
- Two gala dinner passes
- Your company logo on our website events page, the conference programme, and TV screens displayed outside the main conference rooms.
- A 2m x 2m x 2.9m wide exhibitor space and a shared soft seating area to use when talking to delegates in front of stands. Location: Level 0 Newton Forum
- One full complimentary conference pass.
To book a sponsorship package or to find out more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please contact us at email@example.com
Travel and Accommodation
The conference will be held at Nottingham Trent University.
Room/building: Newton building
Address: Burton Street, Nottingham, NG1 4BU
Travel and Parking information: Whether you're travelling to our City Campus by car, train, coach or air, visit our maps and directions page to plan your journey.
Accommodation: Nottingham Trent University's city centre location means many of the UK’s biggest and most well-known hotel chains are within walking distance of the University, providing plenty of accommodation choices to suit all requirements and budgets. The following hotels have a limited number of rooms at their best available rates:
Best Western Nottingham City Centre have a limited number of rooms available at £89 bed and breakfast per room, per night. Delegates are to book individually and quote IVFC04 when making a telephone reservation (discount code is not accepted online). A credit card is required to confirm individual reservations and individual cancellation is 72 hours prior to arrival.
Jurys Inn have a limited number of rooms available at £87 bed and breakfast per person, per night. To claim this reduced rate, delegates must quote JIINTE060420 when making an online or telephone reservation.