Dr Alex Gnanapragasam is a Research Fellow in Sustainable Consumer Behaviour at NTU and is a member of the Centre for Industrial Energy, Materials and Products (CIE-MAP).
Prior to working at NTU, Alex completed his PhD at the University of St Andrews in Scotland. While completing his doctoral studies, Alex was a Guest Lecturer on education and behaviour change for the undergraduate Sustainable Development programme at the University of St Andrews. Alex has also completed research contracts for Learning and Teaching Scotland (now Education Scotland), and Carnegie Trust UK and the St Andrews Sustainability Institute.
Alex's research at CIE-MAP focuses on evaluating consumer expectations, attitudes and behaviours with respect to product lifetimes. Additionally, Alex examines the intersection of social practice theory with product lifetimes and elucidates the possibilities for product lifetime extension through collaborative consumption.
Alex's doctoral research worked towards developing a holistic understanding of sustainability action, drawing on anthropological, psychological, sociological and educational theories of knowledge and action. The research utilised a life history approach to elucidate the role of experience and (nature) connection in engendering, sustaining and bounding sustainability action across the life course.
- Journal reviewer for Sustainability
- Journal reviewer for the Journal of Industrial Ecology
- 2011 – present, Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- 2017 – present, Certified Member of the Market Research Society
- 2017 – present, Member of the Design Research Society
Gnanapragasam, A. and Cole, C., 2017. Community repair: enabling repair as part of the movement towards a circular economy. In: Waste and Resource Management (WaRM) Conference 2017, The Open University, Milton Keynes, 20 June 2017.
Cole, C., Gnanapragasam, A. and Cooper, T., 2017. Towards a circular economy: exploring routes to reuse for discarded electrical and electronic equipment. Procedia CIRP, 61, pp. 155-160. ISSN 2212-8271
Oguchi, M., Tasaki, T., Daigo, I., Cooper, T., Cole, C. and Gnanapragasam, A., 2016. Consumers' expectations for product lifetimes of consumer durables. In: Electronics Goes Green 2016+ Conference, Berlin, Germany, 7-9 September 2016.See all of Alexander James Gnanapragasam's publications...
- Consumer perspectives on product lifetimes
- Psychological and sociological approaches to sustainability
- Outdoor learning in 3-18 education
- Physical, mental and social benefits of outdoor education and recreation
- Nature connection, contemporary research and practice
No results were found