Hugh Hamilton is Acting Head of Department for Visual Communication, which includes the Photography, Graphic Design, Animation and Filmmaking subjects. In this role, Hugh provides subject leadership and management for a staff team of 30+. Hugh specialises in photography and has a long-term engagement with, and understanding of, web 2.0 photographic content.
Hugh is interested in supervising projects in the following areas:
- Documentary photography (especially photographs of the 'rural').
- History and development of early aerial photography.
- Political and social history of photography.
- Photography for web 2.0.
Before becoming an acting Head of Department, Hugh was Principal Lecturer for Graphic Design, 2016 - 2018, and Course Leader for MA Photography, 2011 - 2016. Prior to becoming an academic, Hugh worked as a professional portrait photographer and latterly as a documentary photographer. He has worked at NTU since 1999.
Hugh Hamilton's use of photography is both to investigate the politics of rural representation and to interrogate photographically the construction of masculinity within that political paradigm.
This engagement with photography encompasses both portraiture as well as the social and vernacular history of photography. He is making a series of portraits of men (and women) who enjoy, and work, in the traditional British countryside pursuing rural activities.
He has presented this photography at international conferences as well as experimenting with self-publication and social media. He can be found on twitter - @hughhamilton
He is also currently researching and publishing on the early history of military aerial photography and its use in mapping landscapes, covering in detail the strategic and leadership issues that new technologies bring to the battlespace. With this research he is working across a broad range of disciplines; photogrammetry, history, geosciences and even mathematics.
Hugh is interested in the pedagogic issues raised by professional education within Art and Design and has spoken on this subject both in Britain and mainland Europe.
- 2014 External expert for validation of Photography and Media route on MA Communication, Culture and Media at Coventry University
- 2013 Chair of 10th International Conference in Military Geoscience run by NTU in Aviemore, Scotland
- 2012 Executive Member, Council of Military Education Committees
- 2011 Chair of East Midlands Universities Military Education Committee
- 2010 Member of departmental ethics committee
- 2010 Revalidation panel for the Arts University College at Bournemouth BA (Hons)/FdA Commercial Photography
- 2009 to 2011 Chair of NTU’s Accessibility Working Group.
- 2007 External academic on validation panel for University of Central England’s proposed MA Photography: Documentary Practice
- 2005 to 2008 Executive Association of Photography in Higher Education
- 2004 Appointed by NTU to East Midlands Universities Military Education Committee
Hugh's areas of expertise are:
- Photography (Early British aerial photography)
- Photography (of the countryside)
- Photography (and shooting sports)
- Photography (and the military)
Course(s) I teach on