Jools Ayodeji is senior lecturer in NTU's Visual Communication department, teaching on BA (Hons) Filmmaking and Course Leader on BA (Hons) Art & Design Media Practice (One year top-up course). His role involves taking responsibility for the day-to-day and strategic delivery of the course. This relies on Jools, year-on-year, coaching and leading a staff team, designing and maintaining the curriculum and promotion and recruitment activities.
Jools is a freelance writer, mainly for the stage. Prior to that Jools worked as a Station Assistant at BBC Nottingham. This involved studio and Outside Broadcast Directing, single camera directing, assisting the Graphic Designer and Floor managing of material for inclusion into the regional news programme East Midlands Today.
Jools is working on achieving his PhD by published works and to this end is writing and creating works for publication.
- 2010, Selection Panel Member, Crossovers, New Writing Platform.
- 2008, Five Wives Of Fela Kuti. Stage Play commissioned by Theatre Writing Partnership.
- 2006, 'Natural Breaks and Rhythms', StagePlay Publication - Methuen Drama.
- 2006, 'Natural Breaks and Rhythms', StagePlay, Regional Touring production produced by Royal and Derngate Theatres, Northampton and Theatre Writing Partnership, Nottingham Playhouse.
- 2006, Julius was one of fifty writers chosen nationally to partake in 'the 50', a BBC Writer's room / Royal Court Theatre year long collaboration.
- 2005, Installation piece, 'The Times Grow Worthy of Our Soul', Q Arts Gallery, Derby.
- 2005, 'Lift', Radio Play Brief Encounters - BBC Radio Three.
As a writer, Jools is continually developing pieces of work - see the collaborators tab for current collaborators.
Sponsors and collaborators
Jools was commissioned as part of Black History Month 2014 by Serendipity, Leicester to develop a stageplay for 2015. Jools is working with the Curve Theatre, Leicester as well as Serendipity to do this. A reading of an extract will be presented at an industry showcase event at the Curve in 2015.
- Ayodeji, J., 2013. Marvelization: The Rise of Complex Narratology on the Hollywood Screen. Avanca. International Conference Art, Technology, Communication.
- Ayodeji, J., 2012. The screenplay as research palimpsest. In: S.A. ARBURY, ed., The visual and performing arts: an international anthology: volume II. Athens: Athens Institute for Education and Research, 2012, pp. 7-18.
- Ayodeji, J., 2011. The book an adaptation from the film: technology, narrative, business & how the book industry might adapt the film. International Journal of the Book, 8 (3), pp. 113-122.
- Bell, R., Broadberry, S. and Ayodeji, J., 2011. From WAC to WiD: trialling writing-intensive pedagogies with academic staff in UK higher education. In: M. Deane and P. O'Neill, eds., Writing in the disciplines. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011, ch. 11, pp. 198-212
- Ayodeji, J., 2009. Ending panel [Performance]. Royal and Derngate Theatres: Northampton.
- Ayodeji, J., 2009. The many wives of Fela Kuti [Performance]. Nottingham Playhouse: Nottingham.
- Ayodeji, J., 2009. Boat gypsies [Performance]. Lakeside Arts Centre: Nottingham.