Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in English as a Foreign Language (EFL) and Deputy Programme Leader for MA ELT
Diane Schmitt is a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer and Deputy Programme Leader for the MA programmes. She leads the Theory and Practice in Language Teaching, Teaching Reading and Writing, and Materials Development modules as well as teaching on other MA and EAP modules. She is the Chair of the Academic Misconduct Committee for the School of Arts and Humanities and is a member of the Enhancing Learning and Teaching Committee. Her current interests are English for Academic Purposes (EAP) testing for university entrance, writing in higher education, second language vocabulary acquisition and materials development.
Diane has co-authored Focus on Vocabulary: Mastering the Academic Word List for Longman. She is also a senior consultant to City and Guilds' IESOL CEFR Benchmarking Project and a member of the BALEAP Executive Committee with responsibility for Testing. She is also a member of the BALEAP Can Do Project Team. She regularly presents at ELT/EAP conferences and is an active member of TESOL and AAAL.
Diane holds an MEd in TESOL from Temple University Japan and is conducting PhD research on the language acquisition of international students on a one-year postgraduate course.
- Writing in the International Classroom. Schmitt D in (eds) J Carroll and J Ryan, Teaching International Students, 2015, London, Routledge
- TOEIC Test in Reviews of English Language Proficiency Tests. Schmitt D in (eds) S Stoyanof and C Chappelle, 2005, Washington, DC, TESOL
- Focus on Academic Vocabulary (student textbook). Schmitt D and Schmitt N, 2005, White Plains, NY, Longman/Pearson Education
- Developing and exploring the behaviour of two new versions of the Vocabulary Levels Test. Schmitt N, Schmitt D and Clapham C, Language Testing, 2001, 18 (1)
- Vocabulary Notebooks: Theoretical Underpinnings and Practical Suggestions. Schmitt N and Schmitt D, ELT Journal, 1995, 49 (2)