Course Leader for Modern Languages
Subject Leader for Mandarin Chinese
- British Academy Overseas Conference Grant of £900 for Jiu: Commemoration and Celebration in the Chinese-speaking world, Sydney Australia, 9 to 11 July 2009. delivered paper Revisiting the Culture Revolution Generation.
- China internal development between 1949 and 1969, a research project from May 2007 to September 2007, sponsored by the European Schools.
- Collaborative Models Project (CMP) with the Open University from March 2007 to July 2007, sponsored by HEFCE.
- East Midland project Language and Culture for Business from March 2006 to July 2006, and from September 2006 to December 2006, sponsored by European Social Fund.
- Santander Scholarship (£5000) for research collaboration with Shanghai Jiaotong University on elite women in contemporary China in July 2014.
- The Cultural Revolution generation
- Gender and politics
- China's internal development from 1949 to 1976
- Contemporary Chinese media studies.
- Teaching Chinese as an international language
- External examiner, BA in Joint Honors Chinese, University of Hertfordshire, from 1 October 2011 to 30th September 2015.
- Has been a member of the British Chinese Language Teaching Society since September 2005.
- Have been a member of International Society for Chinese Language Teaching since September 2008.
- Attended 2010 Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters Professional Training on Chinese Language Teaching & Teaching Materials from 20th to 23rd November 2010 in Shanghai, sponsored by Hanban.
- Attended the First UK Professional Training on Chinese Language Teaching & Teaching Materials from 23 - 25 April 2010 in London, sponsored by Hanban.
- Appointed by the Asset Languages as a Language Specialist for Chinese (Mandarin) for the period from 1 October 2006 to 30 September 2010.
- Invited by the European Schools - History stage as an expert with the presentation on 'China internal development 1949-1969' in 27th September 2007 in Mol, Belgium.
- Attended the training program for teachers of Chinese as a foreign language in East China Normal University in August 2007.This training program was certified by the Office of Chinese Language Council International (Hanban).
- Deputy-chair and the executive committee member of British Chinese Languages Teaching society http://bclts.co.uk/committee.html
- Co-curator for Moai Culture http://www.moaiculture.com/profiles.html
- Judge Panel for the 17th ‘Chinese Bridge’ Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students-the UK 2018 Competition. 24 March 2018, London.
- External examiner for the Open university in March 2018 for five Chinese cultural modules, which form part of the Open University Liberal Arts degree programme.
- External examiner for the University of Lincoln from October 2017 to September 2021 for the Chinese modules in Lincoln International Business School in the University of Lincoln.
- External examiner for Coventry University from 1 January 2013 to 31 December 2016. Mandarin Add + Vantage Modules, in the Faculty of Business, Environment and Society.
- External examiner for University of Ulster from the academic year 2013/14 to 2016/17. Undergraduate Honors Subject: Chinese (Minor), BSc Hons Applied Languages and Translation French and Spanish FT, BSc Hons Applied Languages and Translation French and German FT, BSc Hons Applied Languages and Translation German and Spanish FT.
- Judge Panel for the 16th ‘Chinese Bridge’ Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students-the UK 2017 Competition. 22 April 2017, London.
- Examiner for 2017 International Chinese Language Teacher Certificate, July 2017, organized by Hanban UK.
Mao, L. (2014) Chinese internet celebrity’s fall from grace is designed to distract from wider corruption. The Conversation, 13th August 2014. https://theconversation.com/chinese-internet-celebritys-fall-from-grace-is-designed-to-distract-from-wider-corruption-30177See all of Dr Lingling Mao's publications...
- Chinese women
- Women’s Studies
- 1960s generation in China
- Chinese generations
- Chinese media in 1980s and 1990s
- TV drama/series in China
- Chinese character teaching and language assessment