Ronan studied Languages at the University of Sheffield and took postgraduate degrees at NTU and the University of Manchester. He worked as a translator and interpreter in the UK and Spain before becoming a full-time lecturer in 1991. Since then he has worked at a number of UK universities – including two years as a regional manager for Languages at the Open University – and has taught at NTU for over 15 years.
Ronan is the author or co-author of eleven books, mainly in the field of language-learning.
His current research focuses on cross-linguistic influence – specifically the grammatical and lexical problems encountered by students of two or more Romance languages.
He has translated the work of the Latin American writers Nicolás Núñez, Antonio Velasco Piña and Lourdes Espínola.
Ronan is also working on a project to translate from the Catalan, and bring to the London stage, the work of the Spanish actors and playwrights Sergi López and Jorge Picó.
In his spare time, Ronan has published two biographies of icons of punk rock, and also co-wrote a guide to the 2016 European Football Championships
- Member of the Translators' Association
- Member of the Society of Authors
- Member of editorial board: JPM Ediciones (Valencia, Spain)
- External Examiner: University of Buckingham (Spanish, to December 2018)
- Former External Examiner: Leeds Metropolitan University, Universities of Portsmouth, Greenwich and Teesside (all Spanish), University of Hull (Spanish and Portuguese), University of Huddersfield (EFL)
- Advanced Spanish Grammar with Practice Exercises. Fitzsimons R, 2013, London: Collins
- Méthode Nelson Anglais. Fitzsimons R et al, 2011, Paris: Berlitz
- Spanish in a Click. Fitzsimons R, 2010, London: Collins
- Complete Spanish Audio Course. Fitzsimons R et al, 2010, London: Collins
- Easy Learning Spanish Audio Course 2. Fitzsimons R, 2009, London: Collins