Dr Sarah Jackson is Associate Professor in English. She lectures on the BA (Hons) English, on the MA Creative Writing and on the MRes English Literary Research. She currently supervises PhD students working in English and in Creative and Critical Writing.
Dr Sarah Jackson specialises in contemporary literature and theory, and is particularly interested in exploring the intersections between creative and critical writing. An AHRC Leadership Fellow (2018) and NTU VC Outstanding Researcher (2017), she is currently working on a project exploring the relationship between literature and telephony. Her publications include Tactile Poetics: Touch and Contemporary Writing (Edinburgh University Press, 2015) and a poetry collection, Pelt (Bloodaxe, 2012), which won the Seamus Heaney Prize and was longlisted for the Guardian First Book Award. Sarah is a BBC AHRC New Generation Thinker and regularly presents her writing and research on BBC Radio 3 and BBC Radio 4. She leads the Critical Poetics research group at NTU.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD exist and Dr Jackson welcomes research proposals for prospective students working in any of the following areas:
- creative and critical writing
- 20th and 21st-century literature
- writing and technology
- contemporary poetry
Current doctoral projects supervised:
- Hannah Cooper-Smithson, Patterns in Nature: The Use of Poetic Form in Contemporary Ecopoetry
- Jean Morris, Promised Lands - A Psycho-Social Account of Statelessness
- Iain Spillman, The Flashing and Fading of Consciousness in Perception': The Fictional Freud in Literature and Theory
- Alyson Stoneman, Contemporary Poetry, Sea Level Rise and Coastal Flooding
- Lauren Terry, Museums of Memory: Modernist Poetics, Psychoanalysis, and the Material Object
Further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- AHRC Leadership Fellow (2018-2020); collaborative partners include the Science Museum and BT Archives
- Nottingham UNESCO City of Literature Collaborative Board (2017-)
- BBC AHRC New Generation Thinker (2016)
- External Examiner MSc Creative Writing, Edinburgh University (2014-2018)
- External Examiner BA Creative Writing, Birkbeck (University of London) (2013-2017)
- External Examiner BA English and Creative Writing, Birmingham University (2011-2015)
In Transit: Poems of Travel. Jackson, S, and Youngs, T, Birmingham, Emma Press, 2018
Derrida on the Line. Jackson, S, Derrida Today, 2017, 10 (2), 142-59
Echolocation. Jackson, S, Adda Stories. 2017.
Ten Poems on the Telephone. Jackson, S, Nottingham, Candlestick Press, 2017
A Conversion Disorder. Jackson, S, Oxford Literary Review, 2015, 37 (2), 217-42
Tactile Poetics: Touch and Contemporary Writing. Jackson S, Edinburgh, Edinburgh University Press, 2015
Pelt. Jackson S, Newcastle: Bloodaxe, 2012
So Close: Writing that Touches. Jackson S, The International Journal for the Practice and Theory of Creative Writing, 2012, 9 (3), 408-18
Dis-tanz: 29 Tangos. Jackson S, Oxford Literary Review, 2011, 33 (2), 167-187
Touching Freud's Dog: H.D.'s Tactile Poetics. Jackson S, Angelaki, 2010, 15 (2), 187-201
Milk. Jackson S, Brighton, Pighog Press, 2008See all of Sarah Jackson's publications...
Dr Jackson is an AHRC Leadership Fellow and BBC AHRC New Generation Thinker. She can offer comment on culture and technology, psychoanalysis, and modern and contemporary literature.