Dr Sarah Jackson is Senior Lecturer in English and Creative Writing. She lectures on the BA (Hons) English / English with Creative Writing, on the MA Creative Writing and on the MRes English Literary Research. She currently supervises PhD students working in creative and critical writing.
Dr Sarah Jackson specialises in contemporary literature and theory, and is particularly interested in exploring the intersections between creative and critical writing. Her monograph, Tactile Poetics: Touch and Contemporary Writing (Edinburgh University Press, 2015), provides a new critical perspective on the relationship between text and tact in 20th and 21st-century literature and theory. Her poetry collection, Pelt (Bloodaxe, 2012), won the Seamus Heaney Prize and was longlisted for the Guardian First Book Award. She has also published articles on psychoanalysis and deconstruction in relation to the work of Hélène Cixous, Jacques Derrida, H.D. and Anne Carson. Dr Jackson is currently working on a project exploring the relationship between telephony and literature.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD exist and Dr Jackson welcomes research proposals for prospective students working in any of the following areas:
- creative and critical writing
- 20th and 21st-century literature
- contemporary poetry
Current doctoral projects supervised:
- Zayneb Allak, Poetry Elsewhere: Writing, Travel and the Uncanny
- Rebecca Cullen, Mastering Time: Time and Temporality in Contemporary Poetry
- Lynda Clark, That's not how it should end: The effect of reader/player responses on the development of narrative
- Joanne Dixon, ‘Archaeology of the Moment’: A Creative-Critical Exploration of Epiphany in the Writing of Poetry
- Alyson Stoneman, Contemporary Poetry, Sea Level Rise and Coastal Flooding
Further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- BBC AHRC New Generation Thinker (2016)
- External Examiner MSc Creative Writing, Edinburgh University (2014- )
- Nottingham Contemporary Visiting Academic (2013)
- External Examiner BA Creative Writing, Birkbeck (University of London) (2013-)
- External Examiner BA English and Creative Writing, Birmingham University (2011-2015)
- External Assessor MSc in Creative Writing for Therapeutic Purposes, Middlesbrough University and Metanoia Institute (2010)
Tactile Poetics: Touch and Contemporary Writing. Jackson S, Edinburgh, Edinburgh University Press, 2015
Pelt. Jackson S, Newcastle: Bloodaxe, 2012
So Close: Writing that Touches. Jackson S, The International Journal for the Practice and Theory of Creative Writing, 2012, 9 (3), 408-18
Dis-tanz: 29 Tangos. Jackson S, The Oxford Literary Review, 2011, 33 (2), 167-187
Touching Freud's Dog: H.D.'s Tactile Poetics. Jackson S, Angelaki, 2010, 15 (2), 187-201
Milk. Jackson S, Brighton, Pighog Press, 2008See all of Sarah Jackson's publications...
Dr Jackson is an AHRC / BBC New Generation Thinker. She can offer comment on psychoanalysis and literature, creative writing and contemporary poetry. She is also able to offer expert opinion on the relationship between touch and writing, the uncanny, and the role of telephony in literary texts.