As a Course Leader and Principal Lecturer Derek is responsible for the management and academic standards for the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) approved full-time version of the MSc in Human Resource Management programme. He contributes to the teaching on various modules and Derek is the module leader for Managing Employee Relations and Employee Engagement. Derek is a member of the postgraduate course leaders committee which is responsible for overseeing Nottingham Business School’s postgraduate platform portfolio of courses.
Prior to embarking on a career in academia, Derek spent eight years as an HR practitioner working variously for a public utility, a private steel manufacturer and in local government. More recently Derek has gained an appreciation and understanding of the operations of the voluntary sector as a Board Member of Doncaster Youth Jazz Association. These various experiences have afforded Derek the opportunity to coach/mentor and facilitate the development and learning of managers from junior to executive level on both a one to one and a group basis. While Derek’s preferred coaching style incorporates elements of Nancy Kline's principles of the Thinking Environment, he recognises the importance of the coaching approach adopted being dependent upon the coach/client relationship.
Over the recent past Derek has been involved with the following research activities:
- 2007 secondary analysis of the 2004 Workplace Employment Relations Survey with respect to employee relations in small firms in the East Midlands Region
- 2009 - 2011 ACAS Innovative Workplaces evaluation project.
- 2011 - The evaluation of the IWP led to a further report sponsored by ACAS on the impact of ACAS facilitators
- 2011 - Wrote up a case studies of ACAS IWP project for ACAS website
Current Research activity:
Derek is a member of a HRM Division research team investigating “the role of line managers in the implementation of employee engagement”. This project is supported by “Engaging for Success”
Derek is a
- Chartered Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
- ILM (Level) 5 qualified coach
- Member of the Industrial Law Society
- Member of the British Universities Industrial Relations Association
Derek has also been an external examiner for HRM programmes at:
- Huddersfield University
- Doncaster Business School, Doncaster College
- Birmingham City University
- Sunderland University
- Leeds Met University
Sponsors and collaborators
During 2007 ACAS sponsored a secondary analysis of the 2004 Workplace Employment Relations Survey with respect to employee relations in small firms in the East Midlands Region (collaborated with Professor Lynette Harris and Dr Alan Tuckman)
2009 to 2011, Derek, together with Professor Lynette Harris, Dr Alan Tuckman and Bernadette Downs of the HRM division, has carried out an evaluation of the ACAS Innovative Workplaces Initiative (IWP), which was sponsored by the East Midlands Development Agency.
The evaluation of the IWP has led to a further report sponsored by ACAS on the impact of ACAS facilitators.
During 2011 Derek was also sponsored by ACAS to write the IWP cases studies for publication on the ACAS website.
Current research is supported by Engaging For Success.
No results were found