Hafez Abdo is a Reader of Energy Policy, Governance and Accounting at the Nottingham Business School.
Hafez holds the following qualifications: PhD, M.Acc, PCHE. P.G. Diploma and a B.Sc. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Hafez’s role at the NBS embrace a range of academic activities. His research is focused on energy policy, energy governance and accounting for extractive industries.
His expertise is in the UK energy policy, energy governance and the UK petroleum fiscal regime. His background is in accounting and he is specialist in accounting for extractive industries.
Hafez has taught a number of undergraduate and postgraduate modules, and currently he is a module leader for two MSc modules: Financial Statements Analysis and Accounting, Finance and Economics.
In order to enhance students’ deep learning, Hafez promotes research informed teaching. He has particular success in publishing research articles with UG and PG students.
Prior to joining NTU in December 2005, Hafez was an hourly paid accounting tutor at the Management School of the University of Sheffield 2002-2005. During his career in NTU 2005-present he has developed a number of teaching and research skills. Hafez designed the MSc Finance for the Nottingham Business School, and he had MSc and DBA programme leadership roles and he sits on the Colleague Ethical Committee.
During his career, Dr Abdo researched the International Oil and Gas Agreements and studied how petroleum fiscal regimes are designed around these contracts. This led him to study the ‘economic rent’ arising from different types of international oil and gas agreements and the governance of mineral resources. Having studied the structure and contents of the UK petroleum fiscal regime he was motivated to research accounting topics around the oil and gas industry. In addition to the accounting and taxation of the oil and gas industry, Dr Abdo researched aspects of the UK energy policy, this includes energy security and the utilisation of renewable energy options. Decommissioning liabilities of oil and gas installations is a topic of particular interest to Hafez and this is an area that he is currently researching actively. His research interests are summarised as below:
- Taxation of the Oil and Gas Industry
- Accounting for International Oil and Gas Agreements
- Decommissioning Liabilities of the Oil and Gas Installations
- Energy Security and Energy Policy
- Economic Rent of the Oil and Gas Industry
- Corporate Social Responsibility and Environmental Accounting of the Oil and Gas Industry
- Renewable Energy Options
Hafez supervised ten doctorate students to successful completions and currently supervising a number of students on students on different topics.
Hafez acted as an External Examiner for the accounting modules in Coventry University London Campus (CULC) between 2010 and 2014. He was involved in a number of course validation activities in a number of UK based universities. Currently, he is an external examiner on the MBA programme of the University of Sheffield, and an examiner for the Institute of Taxation in London.
Hafez sits on the editorial board of the Energy Research Journal and act as a reviewer for a number of other journals.
- Energy Policy Journal (ABS 2*)
- The International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management (ABS 1*)
- Energy, Science and Technology Journal
- Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting
- Energy Research Journal (ERJ) (ISBN: 1949-0151)
- Online Journal of Social Sciences Research (OJSSR) (ISSN: 2277-0844)
- The Journal of Sustainable Mobility (ISSN: 2053-2350)
Course Validation Activities:
- 2013, Member of the validation panel for postgraduate courses at Anglia Ruskin University
- 2013, Member of internal validation panel for MSc programmes at Nottingham Business School
- 2012, Member of the validation panel for Business Management Programme for York St John University
- 2011, Member of the validation panel for MSc programme for Coventry University in London
- 2009, Member of the validation panel for an MSc programme for the Kaplan Business School
External Examination Roles
- External Examiner for the MBA Programme in the Management School of Sheffield University, 2014 – present.
- External Examiner for the Institute of Taxation in London, 2014 - present
- External Examiner for Coventry University in London - Postgraduate programmes, 2010-2014
- NTU Examiner for the Insolvency Service 2009-2012
External Research Activities:
- 2016, Invited by Harper Adams University to present my research on Green Energy, Fiscal Incentives and Conflicting Signals: analysing the challenges faced in promoting on-farm waste-to-energy projects, 27 October 2016.
- 2016, Invited by the DecomWorld to present my research on Accounting for Decommissioning Costs in their conference on 14 September 2014 in Aberdeen.
- 2016, Invited by the University of Sheffield as an External Speaker on a workshop on Energy Challenges and Rural Development in the Context of Climate Change in Kazakhstan. The Workshop was organised by The University of Sheffield and Al-Farabi Kazakh National University and funded by the British Council. The workshop was held in Astana and Almaty, Kazakhstan between 21 and 26 August 2016.
- 2016, Invited by the Anaerobic Digestion and Bio-resources Association (ADBA) to present my paper on Anaerobic Digestion in the ADBA Annual Conference, 6-7 July 2016, NEC, Birmingham.
- 2016, I was named as an external mentor in a workshop on Energy Security: sustainable management of natural resources organised by Abertay University Dundee and Al-Farabi Kazakh National University and funded by the British Council. The workshop was held in Almaty, Kazakhstan from 27 June to 1 July 2016.
- 2014, Invited by Salford Business School to deliver a research seminar of the role of IFRS6 in harmonising accounting practices by extractive industries, 3rd December 2014.
- 2013, Invited by ISCTE Business School in Lisbon to participate in their Erasmus International Week, 11-15 March 2014.
- 2013, Invited by IPAG Business School in Paris to participate in their Erasmus International Week, 12-17 January 2014.
- 2013, Invited by the scientific committee of the 11th Eurasia Business and Economics Society (EBES) to chair sessions on finance and governance, 12-14 September, Yekaterinburg, Russia.
- 2012, Invited by the scientific committee of the 9th International conference on Developments in Economic Theory and Policy to chair a session on Environment and Resources Economics, 28-29 June, Bilbao, Spain.
- 2012, Invited by the Research Council Energy Programme (RCUK) to participate in a workshop, on 18th January 2012, to prioritise research areas within its funding remit in order to shape the UK research capability and to discuss how research is to be supported over the next few years.
- 2011, Visiting Scholar to the University of Brescia 9-13 May.
Peer reviewed Journal articles
Abdo, H. (2016). Accounting for Extractive Industries: has IFRS 6 harmonized accounting practices by extractive industries? Accepted for publication in the Australian Accounting Review Journal. DOI: 10.1111/auar.12106
Aldrugi, A and Abdo, H. 2016. Social and Environmental Disclosure Rating in the Libyan oil and gas sector. Change Management: an International Journal. Vol 16, Issue 3, pp 1-17.
Abdo, H and Kouhy, R. (2016), Readings in the UK Energy Security. Energy Sources, Part B: Economics, Planning and Policy. Vol 11, Issue 1, pp. 18 – 25. DOI:10.1080/15567249.2011.588669
Khan, T. S; Abdo, H; Al-Ghabban, A. (2015). Investigating Consumer Awareness of Energy Efficiency in Saudi Arabia. Energy Research Journal. Online, pp 1-6.
Mohamed, A. M. A; Alhabaibeh, A; Abdo, H; Elabar, S. (2015). Towards Exporting Renewable Energy from MENA Region to Europe: An Investigation into Domestic Energy Use and Householders' Energy Behavior in Libya. Applied Energy Journal. Vol 146 , May, pp. 247-262.
Abdo, H. (2014). Investigating the Effectiveness of UK Energy Policy in
Promoting Renewable Investments and Reducing Carbon Emissions. Zagreb International Review of Economics & Business. Vol (17), Special Conference Issue 2014.pp. 1-16. http://hrcak.srce.hr/index.php?show=clanak&id_clanak_jezik=192550
Abdo, H. (2014). Investigating the Effectiveness of Different Forms of Mineral Resources Governance in Meeting the Objectives of the UK Petroleum Fiscal Regime. Energy Policy Journal. Vol 65, pp 48-56.
Aldrugi, A and Abdo, H. (2014). Determining the Motives or Reasons that Make Companies Disclose Environmental Information. Journal of Economics, Business and Management. Vol 2, No 2, pp. 117-121. Available at: http://www.joebm.com/papers/109-N00015.pdf
Moritz, L and Abdo, H (2013). Investigating Effects of Green Taxes on Investments in Renewable Energies: the Case of the UK. Energy Research Journal. Vol 4, issue 2, pp: 39-51. Available at: http://thescipub.com/abstract/10.3844/erjsp.2013.39.51
Abdo, H and Al-Gabery, A. (2013). Exploring the Effects of Oil and Gas Reserves Disclosures on the Market Value of Oil and Gas Companies. Online Journal of Social Science Research. Vol 2, Issue 8, pp 225-236. Available at: http://www.onlineresearchjournals.org/JSS/cont/2013/aug.htm
Mohamed, A. M.A; Al-Habaibeh, A; Abdo, H; Abdunnabi, M. J. R. (2013). The Significance of Utilizing Renewable Energy Options into the Libyan Energy Mix. Energy Research Journal. Vol 4, No 1, pp. 15-23. Available at: http://thescipub.com/erj.toc
Abdo, H. (2013). Osborne Shoots for Energy Security, But Shale Gas is no Silver Bullet. The Conversation, 23rd July. Available at: https://theconversation.com/osborne-shoots-for-energy-security-but-shale-gas-is-no-silver-bullet-16244
Abdo, H. (2013). Exploring the Effectiveness of the Green Deal and the Carbon Price Floor as Policy Tools for Decarbonising the UK’s Future Economy and Securing Electricity Supply. Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law (OGEL, ISSN 1875-418X). Vol 5; May 2013, www.ogel.org.
Mohamed, A; Al-Habaibeh, A; Abdo, H. (2013). An Investigation into the Current Utilisation and Prospective of Renewable Energy Resources and Technologies in Libya. Renewable Energy Journal. Vol 50, pp. 732-740
Al Drugi, A and Abdo, H. (2012), Investigating the Development of Environmental Disclosures by Oil and Gas Companies Operating in Libya: A Comparative Study. International Journal of Economics and Finance Studies, Vol 4, No 2, online: http://www.sobiad.org/eJOURNALS/journal_IJEF/archieves/2012_2/ali_al-drugi.pdf
Abdo, H and Al Drugi, A. (2012), Do Companies’ Characteristics Play Key Roles in the Level of their Environmental Disclosures? Energy Research Journal, Vol 3, Issue 1, pp. 1-11.
Abdo, H and Vellacotte, M. (2012), The Significance of Deepwater Oil Drilling for the US Energy Security: The Case of the Gulf of Mexico. Energy Research Journal, Vol 2, No 2, pp. 38-50.
Abdo, H and Vellacotte, M. (2011), Energy Security: The Role of Deepwater Oil Drilling. International Energy Journal, Vol 12, Issue 4, pp. 219-234.
Abdo, H. (2011), UK energy Security: Challenges, Threats and Solutions. Energy Science and Technology, Vol 1, No 2, pp. 38-53.
Abdo, H and Aguiar, M. (2011), Discursive Resources: top managers’ identities and the long-term survival of their organisations. The International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, Vol 10, Issue 12, pp 49-62.
Abdo, H. (2010), The Taxation of UK Oil and Gas Production: Why the Windfalls Got Away, The Energy Policy Journal, Volume 38, Issue 10, October, pp. 5625-5635.
Abdo, H. (2010), The Story of the UK Oil and Gas Taxation Policy: History and Trends, Journal of Oil, Gas & Energy Law (OGEL, ISSN 1875-418X), Vol 4, November. Available at: http://www.ogel.org/journal-browse-issues-toc.asp?key=39
Abdo, H and Willkinson. R. (2010), Exploring Possible Effects of Changes in Capital Structure on the Market Value of Oil and Gas Companies, International Energy Journal, Volume 11, Issue 3, September, pp. 163-172.
Abdo, H and Aguiar, M. (2010), How Top Managers Make Sense of their Role in the Strategic Decision Making Process. The International Journal of Knowledge, Culture and Change Management, Vol 10, Issue 6, pp. 1-18.
Abdo, H. (2009), Evaluating the Usefulness of the Interventionist Approach as a Policy Tool to Influence Oil and Gas Investment Activities: the Case of the UK, International Energy Journal, Volume 10, Issue 2, June, pp. 1-9.
Abdo, H. (2008), Readings in the International Oil and Gas Agreements and the Economic Rent Concept: the Governance of Petroleum Resources, International Energy Journal, Volume 9, Issue 3, September, pp. 163-173.
Abdo, H. and Wakkas, F. (2011), Islamic Finance: understanding the risk management of the Islamic bonds, Sukuk. Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, ISBN: 978-3-8454-3730-9.
Abdo, H. and Aguiar, M. (2011), Understanding Discursive Resources and Strategic Decision Making: a study of the Portuguese textile industry. Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, ISBN: 978-3-8443-1865-4.
Abdo, H. and Vellacott, M. (2010), The Role of Deep-water Oil Drilling in the US Energy Security: the case of the Gulf of Mexico. Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany. ISBN: 978-3-8433-8448-3.
Abdo, H. (2010), Taxation of the UK Oil and Gas Production: A Non-Proprietorial Regime? Lambert Academic Publishing. Germany. ISBN: 978-3-8433-7591-7.
Chapters in Books
Abdo, H and Ackrill, R. (2016), Readings in UK Renewable Energy Policy: The Role of Waste-to-Energy in Achieving Green Energy Targets the case of Anaerobic Digestion. Chapter 3 in Renewable Energy: Sources, Applications and Emerging Technologies, pp 35-56. editor: Viola Burton, Nova publication. New York. ISBN: 978-1-63485-651-5
Abdo, H. (2014), Mineral Resources Governance, the UK Petroleum Fiscal Regime: A Historical Evaluation. Chapter 3 in Progress in Economics Research, editor: Tavidze, A. Vol 29, pp 61-82. Nova publication. New York. ISBN: 978-1-63321-302-9See all of Hafez Abdo's publications...
Dr Hafez Abdo can offer comment on energy policy; energy security; energy taxation; governance of mineral resources; accounting for extractive industries; petroleum fiscal regimes and accounting for decommissioning oil and gas installations.