Dr. Lisa Qixun Siebers is a Reader / an Associate Professor in International Business. She leads the MSc Management in International Publishing route and teaches International Marketing. She supervises UG research projects, DBA, and PhD students.
Before joining NTU in September 2011, Dr Siebers was a Senior Lecturer (2010-2011) at Birmingham City University Business School, UK.
During her doctoral studies, she worked as a Course Leader and Lecturer (2007-2010) in Business Studies at St. Giles Collage, Brighton and London, UK; and she was a part-time Lecturer (2004-2009) in the School of Service Management and Brighton Business School, University of Brighton, UK.
Before coming to the UK, she worked as a marketing and sales manager in Northern China (1995-2001).
Dr Siebers investigates management practices and their transfer across borders. Her work focuses on internationalising firms’ marketing strategies, HRM practices, localisation processes, and managerial approaches in responses to local institutions, cultures, and consumers. She specialises in China’s retail sector and Chinese business and management in African countries.
She has recently worked on two funded projects:
- Chinese investments in Southern Africa: the Zambian case’ (2013-2014), funded by Emerald African Management Research Fund Award (£2,500);
- Chinese investments in Africa: the case of South Africa (2014-2016), funded by British Academy and the Society for the Advancement in Management Studies (£7,616).
Dr Siebers is interested in supervising doctoral students in the areas of:
- retailing and services, with topics on expansion of retail organisations, hybridisation, international HRM strategies, innovative business models, and retail internationalisation;
- Chinese business and management in Africa, with topics on transfer of management practices, HRM issues, cross cultural values, and sustainable mutual growth.
Dr. Siebers is / was
- A Senior Member of the ESRC Peer Review College (2015-2019).
- A Co-Chair of International Management SIG at the annual EURAM Conference (2015 to date).
- The Track Chair of Strategy, Management, and Marketing in Emerging Markets at the annual EURAM Conference (2013 to date).
- A Visiting Scholar at Department of Marketing, Eli Broad College of Management, Michigan State University, USA (January-June 2017).
- A Visiting Scholar at Department of Marketing, School of Management and Economics, Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing, China (May-June 2015).
- A Erasmus Professor, delivering lectures on Strategic International Retailing at Facultat d’economia, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain (February, 2014).
Sponsors and collaborators
- China Retail Research Centre, School of Economics and Management, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
- Department of Marketing, Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK.
- Department of Marketing, Eli Broad Collage of Management, Michigan State University, East Lansing, USA.
- Department of Marketing, School of Management and Economics, Beijing Institute of Technology, Beijing, China.
- Department of Marketing, University of Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Nottingham University Business School and School of Computer Science, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.